Rabbit poops too small and too few

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyann

Have courage and be kind.
Reaction score
Alf is my dwarf 2.6lb angora. About 5 days ago we noticed his poops getting smaller. He was still eating and producing 300+ poops a day.
2 days ago his poops decreased to 250 or less, yesterday 230 today 220. Very unusual he has pooped 300+ every day of his life. We noticed 3 days ago he was eating less hay too. I gave him more pellets as he would eat these very well. He also ate greens well.
I started giving him critical care yesterday. 2 Tbsp over 4 meals. Today he is not eating anything but I fed him 3 tbsp with 6 tbsp water of course, diluted. He wont even pick at hay. Otherwise he is active but not as active. The craziest thing? He has gained weight. He maintained 1.26 for two years now he is 1300+ for the last 3-4 days. My vet practice is so busy that they cant see anyone on the same day except at night as an emerg. That's okay but I thought maybe if I supported him for a day or two he might bounce back. 1. Is it too much hair in his g.i. tract making the poops smaller? But there are also fewer of them.
2. Is it his teeth, again?
Why are his poops small when he is gaining weight ie getting more calories. Why is he having fewer poops than normal when I am feeding him the critical care.
Any and all advice is gratefully received!
I'm planning to call and try to get an appt tomorrow. He is getting his usual dosage of metacam and metachlopramide. I have a few days treatment because he has been through this before.

Could be his teeth. Is he showing any other signs of a dental problem like drooling, dropping food from the mouth, odd chewing motion, abnormal eye or nasal discharge, or any abnormal facial lumps?

Medirabbit: dental problems

His poops could be smaller and he could be gaining weight because he is getting more calorie rich food that contains less indigestible fiber. Indigestible fiber is low in calories(so less weight gain) and is what increases gut motility and fecal poop size. Less indigestible fiber could also account for less poop because less fiber means a slower gut, so less coming out.

Latest posts

Back