Rabbit pooping out of spite?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeyskenzie

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum - this is my first time posting here.

I'm having an issue with my rabbit, Smokey.

We are doing construction in my home and to protect him from the wires and other materials he may get into while they're working on the house, I have been keeping him fenced off in a separate room where all of his things are kept normally, his litter box, hide, hay/water bowl. This is the room he always gets his dinner salads in and he goes to it often even when he has access to the rest of the house. He is only in there when equipment and materials are out and he has had access to the rest of the home all other times, it's just a safety measure for now.

The issue is, he pooped EVERYWHERE in the room today. I mean, everywhere. He did not use his litter box except to pee in. This is very unlike him as he has been pretty great with using his box. It's pretty obvious he did not even put in the effort to get to the litter box for his #2s. They all looked like normal poos for him. No runniness or anything to them.

I got Smokey about 2 months ago from a neighbor keeping him in not great conditions, he is still pretty young according to my vet, they put him at approximately 5-6 months old. He is not yet neutered and he has his appointment for the snip on 3/25 to do so. He is healthy, eats well and has not had any signs of discomfort or illness. He is eating and drinking normally.

Could this be puberty related or is it even possible he is just mad that he doesn't have his normal free roam space? The room is still large. approx 20ft x 30ft. I can provide pictures of anything if needed. He does have a bit of an entitled attitude usually (thumps whenever dinner is 30 mins or so late - lol)

Sorry if I skipped on any details, I'm just completely baffled. Any help/advise is much appreciated!

Thank you!

With the upset of the construction going on, he could very well be territory marking as a response to that disruption. Since the other area is now off limits, perhaps he feels the need to "protect" his current space. At the same time, those hormones could certainly be playing a part as well. Some rabbits lose their potty training with the onset of hormones. Thankfully he's still urinating where he should!

Latest posts

Back