Rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. If you have a fixed pet rabbit (or a rabbit that is going to be fixed) then such a rabbit will have different dietary needs than a rabbit that is going to be bred or housed outdoors.

Indoor rabbits don't need the high protein that breeding rabbits do. Here is a chart that explains what to look for in a healthy pellet (for fixed rabbits):
http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

The chart is UK based, so does not have Manna Pro on their list, but you be able to see that Manna Pro is a bit high in protein. It also has alfalfa listed as the first ingredient. It is typically recommended that rabbits over 6 months of age have a pellet food that is timothy-based.

Also, in case you don't already know this, rabbits over 6 months of age should only get a limited measured amount of pellets daily. All rabbits, regardless of age, should be eating hay mostly. It should make up the bulk (80%+) of their diet.

MannaPro is a well known brand and a good complete diet for rabbits. It's very commonly used among show and meat breeders. If your rabbit is neutered though, it might be a bit high in energy/protein, but for growing or breeding rabbits it's a very balanced feed. It's among my top 3 choices in feed, and I feed exclusively pellets.

There's multiple ways to feed a rabbit. While many pet store brand pellets are only meant to be a supplement, some pellets are formulated to be a complete diet, and MannaPro is one of them. Of course, it's still a good idea to offer hay, especially if your rabbit is prone to stress or GI stasis.

I tried it and if you are wanting to get any weight on your rabbit(s) then don't get it, I couldn't get any weight on one of my underweight buns and the rest of them would hardly touch that brand. I use southern states classic rabbit pellets good for weight gain and the only pellets mine will eat.

Mine loved Oxbow. I later switched him to Sherwood pro since he is a great hay eater and he also loves that one

The type of food depends on your rabbit. Alfalfa based pellets have more calcium. If your rabbit gets slushy poop, or has whitish calcium deposits, give timothy based pallets like Oxbow. Timothy pellets are healthier for most indoor rabbits. I would always use ManaPro when I had outdoor rabbits, especially in the winter because I felt they needed more calories to stay warm. ManaPro is a good quality food. Alfalfa pellets are also the best choice if you have a rabbit that has a hard time eating because of bad teeth or other medical problems, because they are high in calories and will do a better job of keeping weight on your rabbit.

Latest posts

Back