Rabbit pellets

Discussion in 'Rabbit Knowledge Library' started by Kathie Bader, Mar 10, 2019.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Mar 10, 2019 #1

Kathie Bader

Kathie Bader

Kathie Bader

Has anyone fed their rabbit MannaPro? If so do you think it is a good pellet?

2. Mar 10, 2019 #2

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

It depends. If you have a fixed pet rabbit (or a rabbit that is going to be fixed) then such a rabbit will have different dietary needs than a rabbit that is going to be bred or housed outdoors.

Indoor rabbits don't need the high protein that breeding rabbits do. Here is a chart that explains what to look for in a healthy pellet (for fixed rabbits):
    http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/rabbit-food-comparison.asp

The chart is UK based, so does not have Manna Pro on their list, but you be able to see that Manna Pro is a bit high in protein. It also has alfalfa listed as the first ingredient. It is typically recommended that rabbits over 6 months of age have a pellet food that is timothy-based.

Also, in case you don't already know this, rabbits over 6 months of age should only get a limited measured amount of pellets daily. All rabbits, regardless of age, should be eating hay mostly. It should make up the bulk (80%+) of their diet.

3. Mar 10, 2019 #3

SableSteel

SableSteel

SableSteel

MannaPro is a well known brand and a good complete diet for rabbits. It's very commonly used among show and meat breeders. If your rabbit is neutered though, it might be a bit high in energy/protein, but for growing or breeding rabbits it's a very balanced feed. It's among my top 3 choices in feed, and I feed exclusively pellets.

There's multiple ways to feed a rabbit. While many pet store brand pellets are only meant to be a supplement, some pellets are formulated to be a complete diet, and MannaPro is one of them. Of course, it's still a good idea to offer hay, especially if your rabbit is prone to stress or GI stasis.

4. Mar 11, 2019 #4

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

Augustus&HazelGrace

I tried it and if you are wanting to get any weight on your rabbit(s) then don't get it, I couldn't get any weight on one of my underweight buns and the rest of them would hardly touch that brand. I use southern states classic rabbit pellets good for weight gain and the only pellets mine will eat.