Rabbit pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuffinNibblesmollyXOXO

Reaction score
Hi , so I have 1 baby rabbit 5 months old and 2 adult rabbits 1 1/2 years old I am currently feeding my baby phoebe burgess excel junior and dwarf pellets I use to feed the adult rabbit muffin and nibbles the same brand but the adult ones

I recently found out that the adult pellets have alfalfa in it although they don't say alfalfa in the ingredients there's another name for it to called Lucerne that's listed in the ingredients

I'm trying to look for another good brand of adult pellets for my bunnies. Does anyone have any suggestion ? I would love to get oxbow but I live in Ireland and u cant buy that here. so if u know of any good brands that doesn't contain alfalfa/Lucerne and is full of nutrients and low in sugar please let me know

Thanxs

Depending on which of the adult rabbit nuggets your feeding will vary how much lucerne is in it. It's usually only the top 1-3 ingredients that have a substantial amount in the food, the rest is just a little bit of filler and nutrients. In the Adult rabbit nuggets with oregano, lucerne is the 5th ingredient. In the adult rabbit nuggets with mint, lucerne is th 7th ingredient after yeast which I'm sure has a very minimal presence. The main reason lucerne is a concern is because of high calcium and protein in the hay.

However... given you are feeding a pellet, and not the hay itself, the important thing to consider are the nutritional values of the overall pellets, not the ingredients themselves. So yes alfalfa hay should be avoided for adult rabbits because of the high calcium and protein, but in the burgess excel pellet because it's mixed with many other ingredients, those values are well within the accepted range. A pellet that is alfalfa based (with it as the first ingredient) should be avoided because that's when you end up with higher values for those nutrients in the pellet itself, but for a pellet that is grass hay based and having alfalfa as the 5th/7th ingredient, there is no cause for concern at all because the whole pellets are actually balanced nutritionally and there is no risk of feeding too much calcium or protein because of it. :) Personally, I would stick with the Burgess.

Thank you for your reply this helps a lot I will stick to burgess I was just concerned and didn't want to put my bunnies in harms way thanxs a lot

Latest posts

Back