Rabbit pellets give Alfy gas- what can I feed her?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisfliss

Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that the pellets Alfy has are the cause of her gas. They're Excel adult ones. I've been feeding her hay (she eats lots) and about a cup of veggies a day, split between morning and evening.

She's just over 6 months old and I'm just worried that she won't be getting enough of the stuff that'll put weight in. I don't think she's underweight but she is on the low side and you can feel her bones. She's really lively and happy but does anybody have any recommendations what I can feed her instead of pellets? She does suffer from gas (especially at the minute - she's really hormonal as I'm waiting for her spay in June)

Any advice would be great. She's got a vet check up at the end of the month!

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1396453408.987954.jpg

Alfalfa is good til they hit 6 months-extra protein and calcium needed for growth. Serena had a problem with poopy butt, so I have her on Orchard Grass and veggies only--no more problems and she thinned down quite a bit but is not skinny.

Maybe you could try a different brand of pellets?

Rabbits don't NEED pellets and some people do without pellets but if you do, you need hay available at all times and a large variety of greens every day to make up the nutrient loss. I personally prefer feeding pellets.

If you choose to go with a no pellet diet, she needs UNLIMITED grass hay (timothy, oat, brome, orchard grass, etc.). She should not be eating alfalfa, clover, or other legume hays. She should get at least 3 different types of leafy green vegetables daily, in a quantity of least 2 cups twice a day, depending on her size. Also, you should supplement her diet with carefully selected wild plants and herbs. It's more the wild plants/herbs that she'll get more nutrition from than veg!

I would suggest talking to your vet about it :)

Last edited:
I have a rabbit that can no longer have any pellets as they cause digestive problems for him, that can lead to stasis. I've tried many different kinds, and as I would increase the amount, he would start to show signs of pain, possibly due to gas. The one common thing in all the pellets that I tried was carbohydrates, so that's what I believe my rabbit is sensitive to. So now all he gets is some sort of non grain grass hay(right now it's timothy), as well as some alfalfa hay pellets(no other added ingredients), to keep his weight up, and select non cruciferous leafy veggies. He's done well on this diet, has stayed at a good weight, and has been stabile with no stasis issues since eliminating the pellets.

Generally alfalfa hay isn't often given to adult rabbits because the high protein can lead to obesity. Alfalfa is also high in calcium so isn't recommended except for young and nursing rabbits, but can sometimes be helpful to give to rabbits that have difficulty keeping weight on, such as older rabbits. Though one problem that alfalfa hay can present, is that rabbits that have kidney issues or are genetically prone to bladder sludge, shouldn't have alfalfa hay because of the high calcium content. As long as your rabbit doesn't have these issues, adding in some alfalfa hay shouldn't be a problem. If you are concerned about using alfalfa hay, a good green early cut grass hay gradually added into the diet, may provide enough protein for good weight gain, because of the higher protein in young growth grass. Alfalfa hay should also be gradually introduced if used.

If you are wanting to try a different type of pellet, Supreme Vetcare Plus Digestive Health pellets, might be a possibility. Though if your bun is sensitive to carbs, they may not work as there is some grain in it as well as peas. Their Weight Management pellet doesn't have added grain or sugar, so that might be a possibility as well, but it is a little lower in protein.
http://www.supremepetfoods.com/supreme-products/supreme-veterinary-exclusive-range/

If you do decide to try a different type of pellets, just take it really slow, so that if it does cause any digestive upset, it should be minimal and you will be able to catch the signs early before it develops into anything serious. For my rabbit I literally only increased by one pellet a day and was very observant for any changes in behavior that would be a sign the pellets were causing digestive discomfort, and it was a few weeks before I started to see those first signs of them making him feel uncomfortable, of just some eye squinting and belly pressing after eating them.

Last edited:
If you're absolutely certain it's the pellets, you could try slowly switching to a different brand. Otherwise, I would be inclined to think it was a veggie. Have you eliminated them one by one?

Otherwise, there is the option of cutting out pellets completely, though you have to be more creative with the veggies to make sure they're getting a well balanced diet.

Thanks everyone!

I'm pretty certain it is the pellets as she's been on unlimited hay & veggies for a month & no problems, and I tried her on a tiny amount of pellets the other night and she was a bit gassy.

She eats quite a few herbs so it's good to know that they're what give a lot of the nutrients as herbs are her favourite! She also has unlimited hay. I'll definitely talk to my vet about it. It sounds like I should be giving her a few more veggies than I am doing so I'll slowly increase them. Thanks for the advice, loads of helpful suggestions and it's good to know Alfy isn't alone with having a sensitive stomach!

Just weighed Alfy. She's not put much weight on since her vet trip last month but hasn't lost any. I'm going to start giving her a few more veggies- she loves herbs- and I bought some alfalfa bales as treats. They should be good for her shouldn't they?

I'll see if she's put any weight on when we go to the vet at the end of the month and talk to the vet about diet options!

I know. She's still growing and has always been petite. The vet wasn't too concerned about her weight last time we went but I am wanting to find something that I can feed her to bulk her up a bit, as pellets aren't doing her digestion any good!

Latest posts

Back