Rabbit pees/leaks while resting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your bunnies diet? I have never experienced it but most likely the clear pee is from something the bun is eating. Or there is liver/ kidney issues. It’s best not to stress, just see if it gets worse or better, and I’m sure someone else here has some more directed advice.

I am having a somewhat similar situation, except our male is 8 1/2 years old. He is peeing outside the box but also appears to be leaking. The vet prescribed pain meds to help him get into the box to urinate. That has not corrected the problem. I fear urine scald since he always seems wet. Any ideas on what to do?

I am having a somewhat similar situation, except our male is 8 1/2 years old. He is peeing outside the box but also appears to be leaking. The vet prescribed pain meds to help him get into the box to urinate. That has not corrected the problem. I fear urine scald since he always seems wet. Any ideas on what to do?
Has the vet checked your bun for arthritis, it’s common in older bunnies and can often be the reason for no motivation to go somewhere else too pee.

Leaking urine or a rabbit having incontinence, is often caused by a UTI, which is usually easily resolved by a course of antibiotics(usually baytril or smz/tmp). More complicated causes can be a rabbit has developed bladder sludge(calcium build up in the bladder), the parasite e. cuniculi, spinal issues, or incontinence due to other bladder issues.

Medirabbit: urinary incontinence

UTI and bladder sludge are the most common causes of incontinence in rabbits, but it would take a vet looking into it to try and determine what the issue is. Trying a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds(meloxicam) is often a first step to try, then if that doesn't resolve the issue, other testing and diagnostics will probably be needed. All I can suggest is trying to find another knowledgeable rabbit vet that can fit you in sooner.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Has the vet checked your bun for arthritis, it’s common in older bunnies and can often be the reason for no motivation to go somewhere else too pee.

That would be what the pain meds were prescribed to treat. It doesn't seem to have helped.

Did your vet rule out a UTI and bladder sludge as possible causes? Where any tests or xrays done?

Did your vet rule out a UTI and bladder sludge as possible causes? Where any tests or xrays done?
He ruled out UTI since I had a sample. He Dx arthritis and not wanting to go in box. Got lower sided box but it has not stopped completely. No X-rays.

What is your bunnies diet? I have never experienced it but most likely the clear pee is from something the bun is eating. Or there is liver/ kidney issues. It’s best not to stress, just see if it gets worse or better, and I’m sure someone else here has some more directed advice.

Hi thanks for all the feedback everyone. His diet is pretty standard. Timothy and orchard hay, 1/8th Oxbow pellets, and a cup of greens (romaine, celery, bok choy). Nothing else really.

I think the weird thing is that he doesn't realize it I think. It's more a leak opposed to him lifting his tail and actually peeing.

Hi thanks for all the feedback everyone. His diet is pretty standard. Timothy and orchard hay, 1/8th Oxbow pellets, and a cup of greens (romaine, celery, bok choy). Nothing else really.

I think the weird thing is that he doesn't realize it I think. It's more a leak opposed to him lifting his tail and actually peeing.
I see, yes diet sounds fine:) I’m sure there is some articles about the leaking. I’m not all that educated about it.

Latest posts

Back