Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chibibun

Reaction score
So my rabbit was well potty trained before and she would always hop away to the litter box whenever she had to relieve herself however recently she is using the litter box less and is peeing behind the couch which are also mixed along with pellets so its quite hard to clean as the pellets stay soft. I do have a hardwood floor and while cleaning it today I noticed that the dried pee is hard to scrape off and seems like it could be damaging the floor, then I return after a few hours aaaand shes pooped and peed there in the exact place. Whats the best way to remove the dry urine and get rid of her scent in that area? And how can I encourage her to use the litter box again instead of behind the sofa? I currently dont have anything to block her pathway from getting behind the couch either :/ but I will be looking into finding something, any help would be useful :)

Best thing to remove dryed urine is white vinegar and pet safe cleaning spray

The vinegar will prevent her from going their again cause it neutralizes the area

If you want her to use her little box more you can add a little bit of food pellets and some dried herbs to entice her in

Or you can try a new ki d of hay and she if she likes it more

Best thing to remove dryed urine is white vinegar and pet safe cleaning spray

The vinegar will prevent her from going their again cause it neutralizes the area

If you want her to use her little box more you can add a little bit of food pellets and some dried herbs to entice her in

Or you can try a new ki d of hay and she if she likes it more
Hiya, thankyou I will be trying all of thoss

The vinegar will dissolve(base/acid reaction) the white calcium sediment. Hiding places like behind the couch, can be tricky places to get them to stop peeing at. If cleaning up the spot doesn't work, you may need to either block access, put down a pee pad or litter box in the spot, or there is also putting a tunnel down the length to help protect the floor.

https://bunnyproof.com/stop-bunny-going-behind-couch.html

The vinegar will dissolve(base/acid reaction) the white calcium sediment. Hiding places like behind the couch, can be tricky places to get them to stop peeing at. If cleaning up the spot doesn't work, you may need to either block access, put down a pee pad or litter box in the spot, or there is also putting a tunnel down the length to help protect the floor.

https://bunnyproof.com/stop-bunny-going-behind-couch.html
Thankyou those are great ideas, I have now blocked the paths however she is actively trying to get through by biting and scratching the objects used to block her. Will she stop this behaviour eventually? She is normally chilled out and laying around, however since blocking her favourite place to pee, she wont stop scuttering around trying to get back in, any thoughts?

Most likely. She just needs time to get used to the change. The path behind the couch was part of her 'escape route' and hiding spots. Rabbits map out their environment so they can quickly dash away to somewhere safe when they get frightened by something. It's just part of their nature. And the place behind the couch is a perfect tunnel for them. Just watch the corners of the couch back there as she may very well start trying to chew at it to try and clear the obstruction.

if blocking access is causing problems, maybe try the tunnel idea. I know some rabbit owners will use a cardboard concrete form. One large enough your bun won't get herself stuck. Drainage pipes are another option, or just making something out of cardboard boxes will work too.

Most likely. She just needs time to get used to the change. The path behind the couch was part of her 'escape route' and hiding spots. Rabbits map out their environment so they can quickly dash away to somewhere safe when they get frightened by something. It's just part of their nature. And the place behind the couch is a perfect tunnel for them. Just watch the corners of the couch back there as she may very well start trying to chew at it to try and clear the obstruction.

if blocking access is causing problems, maybe try the tunnel idea. I know some rabbit owners will use a cardboard concrete form. One large enough your bun won't get herself stuck. Drainage pipes are another option, or just making something out of cardboard boxes will work too.
Yes it was definitely a hiding spot for her, and thankyou I will be giving some time to see if she settles down however she actually managed to move around the stuff we used to block the path and get back behind the sofa at night - so ill find something more sturdy or use the tunnel idea if that does not work. Thankyou for the information :)

Sorry no one got back to you.
Could you put another litter box behind the couch? Or do you not want her to go back there at all?

Maybe let your bunny play in a different area.
What type of toys does your bunny have?

Latest posts

Back