Rabbit peeing everywhere, help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpingBerry

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that is urinating everywhere in her cage. I just built this cage on Friday and it has a shelf in there which she uses and appears to like it, but I came home today to find urine on the shelf. She uses her litterbox, but then digs in there and scatters dirty litter/bedding everywhere, which I know is part of the problem as probably urine smell is getting everywhere. She is about 5 months old. She was previously housed in a smaller wire-bottomed cage with a litterbox and had the same behavior. I use pine pellets in her litter box, and do give her some hay in there too.

I'm going to try to make something to have a "covered" litter box ... use wire caging above the litter and hope that may help.

I have thought about using urine guards on top of the shelf, but the urine would just go underneath the guards. Any ideas to help contain the urine on the shelf?

Or any other advice, besides giving her more out of cage time?

This happened with my Iris, she was so good at using her litre box and then one day she just started peeing every where but she eventually got over it, and now she only using her litre box, is there a spot she pees most because if so I'd put her litre box there and.

It's hormonal, that's a classic behavior in teenage rabbits. Wait for one or two months and get her spayed - it will help with the pee / digging and will prevent all kind of health issues.

I decided to put bedding in the rest of her cage (on the bottom level). Her litter box has pine pellets, but the rest of the cage is pine shavings. She isn't just using a corner ... she goes anywhere including in the middle of her cage.

She can't be spayed for at least a couple more months.

I have to do the same thing with Ellie... and she IS spayed, just extremely stubborn. When I was on vacation, I took my three buns to my parents' house, and Ellie and Butterscotch did very well with an xpen and a cage attached (litterbox in the cage, and they had room to roam). However, at mom and dad's, the floor was concrete, so anything that soaked through the rug I had for them could be easily cleaned. At my house, I just have carpet everywhere, so Butterscotch and Ellie have large cages and get playtime in the evenings.

Maybe try using a different litter? And don't use bedding. My bunny kept peeing everywhere all over her bedding and kicking it everywhere. The pet store told me to remove it so that what I did. For the digging, as soon as she does it take a litter scoop and put it all back in. If she's still peeing everywhere, try taking a little piece of toilet paper and absorbing it a bit and putting it into the litter box. She is young so maybe she doesn't understand that's her pee place, you have to train her like a dog. If you notice she's pooping set her in the litter box to show her that where she goes. Also try getting a bigger litter box with less pellets in the bottom and change daily. I did all these things with my bunny, the only problem is now that she sometimes removes the litter box from the corner and pees and poop where it was lol still working on that one.

Latest posts

Back