Rabbit passed- unsure why

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael22

Reaction score
Hello: I'm hoping for some answers. This morning I found a rabbit (mid sized not sure if male or female) trapped in some netting we have in our backyard. He was trapped from the back end, about 1/4 of his body. He was breathing a little fast but he was very patient while I ripped the netting and freed him. He didn't have visible trauma other than some fur that had been rubbed away raw from where the netting was located; on the right rear area. He sat up, ears up and scampered off- very alert. I left for work and had my wife check on him before we let our dog out. Sadly, he had passed, within about 30 minutes time from releasing him. Not to be graphic but she said it was as if rigo mortis had set it. Any idea what might have happened? Could it have been a heart attack? I swear he appeared to be normal when he was freed from the netting. In any event, it was a very sad situation. I went from feeling very happy to have found him, release him to hearing that he had passed. Thanks for your time.

Well, that is pretty common and something rabbits are prone to.

It's not exactly a heart attack, but when in panic their heart goes in overdrive, which can result in lethal damage by starving the heart muscle. They then die within hours.

More likely he wasn't calm, but in shock. A good scare, like a dog rattling the cage door can kill a rabbit, being trapped sure can do that too.

I had this happen with my buck a few years ago after an fox attack - wasn't hurt since I did fend off the fox, when I found him in a hiding hole he seemed calm, relaxed - actually too much, so I knew it was shock - and died 3 hours later. What I had read about shock - give him rest in his safe place etc. - didn't help, if something like that ever happens again I'll stay with the rabbit and try to not let him fade away - I know it might not change the outcome, but I would feel better...

As far as I know shock isn't a death sentence, it sure depends on what happend, on the rabbit, and, well, luck I guess. Seeing a vet if possible sure is worth a try.

Latest posts

Back