Rabbit panicking?? Please help fast!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazerFace

Reaction score
hey please help! i took my rabbit outside for a bit (he has been outside before) and then when i went to pick him up( i only pick him up when i need to) and put him back i side he immediately layed down and now he is shaking and he is breathing very quickly! I dont know what to do please help!!

hey please help! i took my rabbit outside for a bit (he has been outside before) and then when i went to pick him up( i only pick him up when i need to) and put him back i side he immediately layed down and now he is shaking and he is breathing very quickly! I dont know what to do please help!!
He is sitting back up again and he is cleaning himself i have no idea what happened... I am so relieved i thought he was having a heart attack or something... Pfew.. Ok but if anyone knows what happened i would be great full for any answers

Was he running around a lot outside? Or is it quite warm? How often do you take him in and out - is it a new and potentially stressful experience?

For me it sounds that he just got warm, either by sun or temperatures outside or by being active. Does he have a cool, shady place outdoors?

Anyway, touch his ears next time - when they feel hot it's time to get to a cooler place if he cannot chose one by himself.

About putting rabbits somewhere and back - no experience with that, it seems to me that for my rabbits it's very important to know the way to their safe place where their expedition started (I don't freak out when one get's out in the woods again, they know their way back home), if I would put a rabbit into another, seperated area I would put him into a (cool) hidy house there and let him go out and explore, but that's just an idea since my rabbits leave their hutches via ramps, or the catflap in my back door, and return by themself.

Last edited:

When you take him outside, how are you doing it? Picking him up and carrying him? Using a harness?
And when he's outside, how are you confining him? Fenced yard? Exercise pen? And where?

Oh, and could you remind me of his age?

When you take him outside, how are you doing it? Picking him up and carrying him? Using a harness?
And when he's outside, how are you confining him? Fenced yard? Exercise pen? And where?

Oh, and could you remind me of his age?
I put him in a harness and then he just runs around in my backyard, he just turned one

I would suggest using a carrier rather than picking him up to bring him in or out. Carrying a rabbit anywhere is usually an accident waiting to happen. A sudden shadow or sound can make him panic while in your arms and he could squirm out and fall or get squeezed too tight as you try to hang on. It would be safer to use a carrier (or even a box). He'll soon get used to it and come to expect it.

As for taking him out, not sure if you've considered all the potential dangers of having him out. You can see a summary (and an alternative way to have him outside) on this page.

Latest posts

Back