Rabbit not pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pam9

Reaction score
Hi all,

My rabbit and I went to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. We drove back this afternoon, with my rabbit in his carrier. The drive was about 2.5 hours - he's made it several times before. He's been in his cage since we got back (around 6:15 pm) and has not pooped. Before we left, I changed his litterbox so it would be fresh when we got back, and had to mix in a new brand (Equine Pine) with his old stuff (Equine Fresh). I haven't seen him in the litter box yet, so I'm not sure if he doesn't like the new stuff or if he's not feeling well. He's been moving around, eating, and drinking, but he has not pooped. I'm not sure if the car ride stressed him out and now I should take him to the vet. I'm planning to keep an eye on him over the next several hours and see if he uses the litter box (or anywhere in the cage). Any thoughts or suggestions in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Additional information: okay, so he just went in the litter box. He kind of raised his butt like he was going to pee, but I don't think he did. I gave him some fresh orchard grass but he hasn't eaten it. He did eat a piece of green pepper - one of his favorite vegetables.

Just keep trying to make him eat and drink (or make sure that he's eating and drinking). If he's still interested in eating treats, that's a good sign. It's probably from the stress of the drive, new surroundings, ect.

I have the same weird problem with my rabbit. He used to love going places and being in new territory, and the last time I brought him out he freaked out and didn't eat for a couple days after. I knew what it was though, and forced food and water down his throat. After a few bunny massages, he was good as new.

Just keep an eye on him and get some fluids and food into him. If he's grinding his teeth for no reason or sitting hunched up, he may have gas. This can also be caused by stress.

Check out these posts and watch out for the symptoms listed in them:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10&jump_to=222400

Let us know how he is!

Okay, thanks you two. I think he's fine now - he's made a few pellets in his cage and the litter box. I guess it was a more stressful car ride than usual.

Glad to hear he's settled in again. :)

I've had Gus stop pooping for almost a whole day after a trip. He was still eating and drinking and peeing, though, so I just monitored him. The next morning, he left the biggest pile of poop I've ever seen in his litter box!

Hope that helps!

Rue

My guys often get stressed by travel/change. We had ours boarded over the holiday and I had to spend the day nursing Tony, who had a bout of gas when he got home. I usually give them all probiotic before and after a trip, and keep an eye out for hunched posture, not interested in treats, etc.

Latest posts

Back