Rabbit not pooping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JingleBellTheBunny

Reaction score
My rabbit has not been pooping, he hasn't been acting any different, but I just want to know if this is normal

When was the last time he pooped? Has he been eating, drinking, playing around?

He needs to see a rabbit savvy vet. Rabbits should poop 150-300 poops per day. I'm not sure why he would not be pooping if he is eating, are you sure he isn't pooping in an area that you don't know about? What did the last poops look like?

the last time he pooped, it looked pretty normal. I'll double check his cage for any spots I might've missed.

He needs to see a rabbit savvy vet. Rabbits should poop 150-300 poops per day. I'm not sure why he would not be pooping if he is eating, are you sure he isn't pooping in an area that you don't know about? What did the last poops look like?
I checked his cage and there was a small pile of poop in his hidey shelter. There wasn't a ton, but there was some. it looked pretty normal

How much food does he eat? What brand? How much hay?

Can you send a picture of the poops?

I can't because my rabbit lives outside, and I can't take my computer outside to his cage. sorry i could try to find a photo online of what his poops look like if that helps.

he usually eats about 1/4 cup of pellets a day. I'm not sure the brand but I know it's timothy based pellets. I'll usually put about 2-3 large handfuls of hay and he'll eat over half of it

Before a rabbit stops pooping, he'll stop eating. If he has a blockage in his gut and is unable to poop, he'll still stop eating.

If a rabbit ever refuses any food he normally eats, then that is a sign that something is wrong. If he suddenly eats less than his usual amount, that can also mean something is wrong.

So all that to say that if your rabbit is eating his normal amount of pellets and is eating plenty of hay, then he must be pooping in areas you aren't seeing. That's not surprising if he is outside.

Not quite sure how large a "handful" may be but a general rule of thumb for hay-eating is that a rabbit should eat his body size in hay every day. Since they like to pick through the hay, they should have more than their body size available throughout the day.

For your future reference, if a rabbit ever stops eating for 12 hours, that would be considered a dire emergency and he would need immediate vet intervention. If a rabbit ever does stop pooping, that is what is called GI stasis. GI stasis usually has warning signs though -- like refusing to eat, producing smaller poos. If those signs are ignored and a rabbit completely stops pooping, he would be on death's door. Rabbits that have had all the warning signs and get to the point of not pooping at all have a tough chance of survival even with vet intervention.

Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case with your rabbit.

Before a rabbit stops pooping, he'll stop eating. If he has a blockage in his gut and is unable to poop, he'll still stop eating.

If a rabbit ever refuses any food he normally eats, then that is a sign that something is wrong. If he suddenly eats less than his usual amount, that can also mean something is wrong.

So all that to say that if your rabbit is eating his normal amount of pellets and is eating plenty of hay, then he must be pooping in areas you aren't seeing. That's not surprising if he is outside.

Not quite sure how large a "handful" may be but a general rule of thumb for hay-eating is that a rabbit should eat his body size in hay every day. Since they like to pick through the hay, they should have more than their body size available throughout the day.

For your future reference, if a rabbit ever stops eating for 12 hours, that would be considered a dire emergency and he would need immediate vet intervention. If a rabbit ever does stop pooping, that is what is called GI stasis. GI stasis usually has warning signs though -- like refusing to eat, producing smaller poos. If those signs are ignored and a rabbit completely stops pooping, he would be on death's door. Rabbits that have had all the warning signs and get to the point of not pooping at all have a tough chance of survival even with vet intervention.

Thankfully, that does not seem to be the case with your rabbit.
thanks!

It's impossible for a rabbit to still be eating and not poop for a month. Not pooping for even much less than that length of time would have been fatal. A rabbit not pooping for 24 hours is considered an emergency. So like Blue eyes said, your rabbit must be pooping somewhere that you aren't seeing since he is still eating.

To better understand how a rabbits digestive system works and problems with it that are frequently encountered, I suggest checking out these links I'm posting. With the first link, it has a good basic overview, but note that it doesn't go into a detailed explanation of some things, like the comment on feeding veggies and fruit, which need to be introduced into a rabbits diet in a certain way to minimize possible digestive upset.
http://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/pdfs/ROWinter10p7.pdf
https://rabbit.org/sluggish-motility-in-the-gastrointestinal-tract-2/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.pdf
http://www.bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

Latest posts

Back