Rabbit not moving or eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kora

Reaction score
My rabbit is currently not really moving around (he’ll run away if I come near him, but he’ll lay down once I’m away. He’s mainly laying in the same spot), nor is he eating, even if they’re his favorite foods. He was doing just fine last night, and now all of a sudden he’s like this. I haven’t fed him anything or done anything to him. He’s been in his cage all day, so there’s nothing he could’ve gotten into. All I’ve fed him recently is his pellets and hay. I don’t know what’s wrong, but I’m scared it’s stasis—although I have no idea what could’ve caused it. I have Critical Care on hand. Should I try and feed him that immediately or wait a couple of hours to see if he gets better?

Minor Update: I’m not sure if this is important or not, but his stomach is making some noises.

My rabbit is currently not really moving around (he’ll run away if I come near him, but he’ll lay down once I’m away. He’s mainly laying in the same spot), nor is he eating, even if they’re his favorite foods. He was doing just fine last night, and now all of a sudden he’s like this. I haven’t fed him anything or done anything to him. He’s been in his cage all day, so there’s nothing he could’ve gotten into. All I’ve fed him recently is his pellets and hay. I don’t know what’s wrong, but I’m scared it’s stasis—although I have no idea what could’ve caused it. I have Critical Care on hand. Should I try and feed him that immediately or wait a couple of hours to see if he gets better?
Give him critical care! Your rabbit may be going into GI Statis

Minor Update: I’m not sure if this is important or not, but his stomach is making some noises.
I’m scared for my bunny to because she just ingested a tiny piece of my control the rubbery part and I’m scared she will go into GI Statis too I also switched her hay because I’m allergic to Timothy hay

I don’t have gas drops. What do those do? I’ve never heard of them. And my other rabbit has chewed a rubber part of her food bowl, and she ended up being fine. I’d watch yours just in case, but try not to stress too much about it until you see signs of stasis. Maybe feed her Oxbow Digestive Support if you have it.

I don’t have gas drops. What do those do? I’ve never heard of them. And my other rabbit has chewed a rubber part of her food bowl, and she ended up being fine. I’d watch yours just in case, but try not to stress too much about it until you see signs of stasis. Maybe feed her Oxbow Digestive Support if you have it.
It said to help with gas that’s in their system. Try giving him belly massages too. I heard that helps

Btw your bunny is so cute! Holland lop parents!

Thank you! Both of them are Hollands haha. Anyway, I’m about to feed him some Critical Care. Do you know how to do that? Like how much ai should feed and how much water I should mix with it?

The first go-to when a bunny is showing early signs of GI stress is to give him simethicone (baby gas drops). You can get them at Wal-mart or any pharmacy. It's a good idea to always have this on hand. Usually a few rounds of that and bunny starts feeling better and eating again. Give it at the very first signs. It is harmless and the sooner it is offered, the quicker bunny will be better.

Dosage for the simethicone: 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.

If a rabbit is in full stasis and actually has a blockage, then force feeding anything (even Critical Care) is not advised. Feeding a rabbit with a blockage can make things worse.

Here's more on GI Stasis:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Your girl is beautiful too btw :) I really wanted a blue, gray, lilac, or silver color rabbit when I was searching bahahaha. Yours has a very large dewlap—she’s gotta be comfortable all the time lol

The first go-to when a bunny is showing early signs of GI stress is to give him simethicone (baby gas drops). You can get them at Wal-mart or any pharmacy. It's a good idea to always have this on hand. Usually a few rounds of that and bunny starts feeling better and eating again. Give it at the very first signs. It is harmless and the sooner it is offered, the quicker bunny will be better.

Dosage for the simethicone: 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.

If a rabbit is in full stasis and actually has a blockage, then force feeding anything (even Critical Care) is not advised. Feeding a rabbit with a blockage can make things worse.

That’s really good to know, thank you. I’ll go out and get drops immediately. Would Family Dollar have any?

Your girl is beautiful too btw :) I really wanted a blue, gray, lilac, or silver color rabbit when I was searching bahahaha. Yours has a very large dewlap—she’s gotta be comfortable all the time lol
Blue eyes is really knowledgeable!:) she helped me a lot but yeah you can feed her through a feeding syringe and what is dewlap? I’m sorry haha I’m sorta a new bunny mama she’s a blueish grey brown and light gray color I don’t know what color she is exactly lol

Thank you! Both of them are Hollands haha. Anyway, I’m about to feed him some Critical Care. Do you know how to do that? Like how much ai should feed and how much water I should mix with it?
Currently looking at my critical care

Divide dry product into 4-6 feedings unless specified by your veterinarian.prepare fresh at each feeding.mix 1 part may be adjusted depending on feeding method.

Currently looking at my critical care

Divide dry product into 4-6 feedings unless specified by your veterinarian.prepare fresh at each feeding.mix 1 part may be adjusted depending on feeding method.

You may have missed this, but Kora is going to start with the simethicone.

As I wrote earlier...

You may have missed this, but Kora is going to start with the simethicone.

As I wrote earlier...

Sorry about that I didn’t know that thank you for the info once again!

I gave him about 1 1/2 cc of simethicone, but I’m pretty sure that he spit most of it out. Do I give him more in an hour, and is there anything else I can do for him? I’ve massaged his tummy because I’ve seen a few people recommend that. He’s also just sitting in his litter box doing nothing. How do I know when to take a more drastic measure?

I gave him about 1 1/2 cc of simethicone, but I’m pretty sure that he spit most of it out. Do I give him more in an hour, and is there anything else I can do for him? I’ve massaged his tummy because I’ve seen a few people recommend that. He’s also just sitting in his litter box doing nothing. How do I know when to take a more drastic measure?
Is he eating or anything? If he’s not eating then the next step I’d say is critical care of go to the vet if it’s really serious

Latest posts

Back