Rabbit Not Eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac096

Reaction score
Hello anyone reading this,
I’m new to the forum/group so hoping this goes smoothly. I adopted my rabbit Jinmi in January 2020, on her adoption papers they said she’s spayed and 2-3 years old with no other information. She was also alone in the cage. She’s free range from my bedroom, pet room, and living room which is rabbit proof. Her diet consists of Timothy hay, pellets, veggies, occasionally fruit and one treat a day. She’s been eating very well until recently. She barely eats her pellets unless I add herbs (weren’t added before just an occasional treat that never affected her eating every single one of her pellets before) and avoids her hay. She hasn’t been pooping as much but I’m assuming it’s because of her lack of eating. This has only been going on for three days so far (her lack in eating). Her teeth are a good length and she doesn’t feel bloated. She’s also been eating cardboard lately. I’m trying to find her a vet but two exotic vets have stated they aren’t accepting rabbits due to the rabbit virus. So idk what to do at this point, I’m also considering if she could be depressed since she is alone and I guess the time I spend with her may not be enough. I’ve read that rabbits can get depressed and not eat due to this. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their rabbit? Any advice would be helpful. Also want to mention I’ve tried switching up food brands and hay brands which didn’t help. And she hasn’t lost much weight form what I can tell.

Attachments

• 7B00C583-AF14-43DA-9B21-5472A793B390.jpeg
    7B00C583-AF14-43DA-9B21-5472A793B390.jpeg
    379.8 KB · Views: 13
I’m not sure the exact cause of the problem but it does sound like she’s starting to get stasis. I could get simethicone (Aka. baby or infant gas drops, colic Relief), and give three 1ml doses an hour apart. I’d also give stomach massages

Definitely try to spend more time with her, especially because she is a single bunny. If might help her perk up by having some interaction, and if it does, it might be good to look into getting her a companion

It could also be her back teeth that are causing problems - you won’t be able to check those, only a vet would. If she did have molar spur or anything similar, she wouldn’t want to eat hard foods like hay or pellets, and would prefer veggies and other things.

Thank you so much for an answer, I’ll try out the massages and keep trying to find a vet. I’ll definitely look into getting a companion as well. I really do appreciate this and for including the video. Thanks again!!

If she's barely eating you need to get her seen by a rabbit vet today. 3 days with not eating much is too long for a rabbit. She needs fluids in the very least, and will likely need other meds(pain meds, gut motility meds, etc) and regular syringe feeds to get her GI tract moving again. She is trying to eat cardboard because of a slow digestive system causing her to crave fiber, but cardboard will just worsen the problem.

If she really is still active and not lethargic, then it could very well be a dental problem, which will just worsen if the issue isn't corrected soon. If it is a dental issue, she may be more inclined to eat soft food. You can try soaking her pellets in warm water to make a pellet mush out of them, and see if she might eat that. If she won't try eating it on her own you can try putting a bit on a spoon and see if she will eat from the spoon.

Phone a rabbit vet and tell them it's an emergency and that your rabbit has barely eaten for 3 days(that is a definite emergency with rabbits). And make sure they give her a thorough dental exam.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If she is not eating within 4-8 hours, then you should rush out and get some critical care and syringe feed, to get the gut moving or she will go into GI stasis, and schedule a vet appointment very soon.

She ate all pellets today when I mixed in herbs little to no hay though, but I live in AZ where there has been reports of a rabbit virus so two vets which I typically take my exotic pets such as a past rabbit, guinea pigs has said they will not be taking rabbits as this time due to precautions of the virus, I'll look into an emergency vet but a rabbit owner who is a friend of mine had an issue with her rabbit (can't remember the reason why) and they wanted to charge her 900 dollars worth of tests but that was just one location that accepts exotics I'll keep trying vets though.

Last edited:
I do have critical care, the fine grind and some flavored one so if she stops eating completely, I'll give her that. Thank you everyone for info and output, much appreciated. She also pooped last night and they remain the same size as her normal poops if that's important

Just want to update if anyone’s curious

Took her to a vet today, no GI Stasis, her teeth are fine. The vet said he could tell she’s very stubborn and she’s a great weight. I guess I worried for nothing but she had several tests done including xrays, checked her hips, thorough check in her ears, etc. The vet says she has some behavioral issues we need to fix since she does nip when she doesn’t get her food or way. Thank you everyone for the advice!

Attachments

• 59F436E0-2E4D-47B9-A9B9-478FFFFAE578.jpeg
    59F436E0-2E4D-47B9-A9B9-478FFFFAE578.jpeg
    206.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 140DA4DB-1D9C-46C9-A6AA-18BE995056BE.jpeg
    140DA4DB-1D9C-46C9-A6AA-18BE995056BE.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 6
I'm glad to hear there are no cause for concern. It's always good to monitor the rabbit's poops for any abnormalities. And, stomach cramps and production of gas can cause the rabbit not to eat as much, even if the rest of their activities (besides eating and pooping) are seemingly normal. I would second the other poster's suggestion to get infant gas drops -- we always keep some on hand as it's the best relief for an achy stomach.

Anyway, rabbits are notoriously capable of hiding any symptoms of illness so I'm really glad you had the presence of mind to bring her to a vet. Too often, people wait for warning signs to turn flashing red before going to see the doc, at which point it's usually too late.

Hello anyone reading this,
I’m new to the forum/group so hoping this goes smoothly. I adopted my rabbit Jinmi in January 2020, on her adoption papers they said she’s spayed and 2-3 years old with no other information. She was also alone in the cage. She’s free range from my bedroom, pet room, and living room which is rabbit proof. Her diet consists of Timothy hay, pellets, veggies, occasionally fruit and one treat a day. She’s been eating very well until recently. She barely eats her pellets unless I add herbs (weren’t added before just an occasional treat that never affected her eating every single one of her pellets before) and avoids her hay. She hasn’t been pooping as much but I’m assuming it’s because of her lack of eating. This has only been going on for three days so far (her lack in eating). Her teeth are a good length and she doesn’t feel bloated. She’s also been eating cardboard lately. I’m trying to find her a vet but two exotic vets have stated they aren’t accepting rabbits due to the rabbit virus. So idk what to do at this point, I’m also considering if she could be depressed since she is alone and I guess the time I spend with her may not be enough. I’ve read that rabbits can get depressed and not eat due to this. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their rabbit? Any advice would be helpful. Also want to mention I’ve tried switching up food brands and hay brands which didn’t help. And she hasn’t lost much weight form what I can tell.
I have experienced this with my rabbit Snowball. This could be caused by GI stasis which is really seriously if not treated. I’d call more exotic vets and make an appointment with one of them. Until the appointment, continue feeding her what she’ll eat (it’s a good sign that she’s eating something) and possibly critical care which is really good for this situation. If you don’t have critical care, I hear you can make your own pellet mash 🤔 it’s be worth looking into. But seeing a vet is the most important thing right now. She could be depressed but if she’s free range or not locked in her cage and you spend some time with her this might not be the case (but it still could be).

Thank you, she’s already seen a vet, I had several exams done on her including x rays. No GI Stasis according to the vet (30% of his patients are rabbits too so I’m trusting him). He told she is in very good health but he noticed she’s very sassy/dominant. Right now we are working on her behavior because she gets in these stages where she will only eat veggies and treats and will nip me when she doesn’t get her way. He said she won’t starve herself (if healthy and not sick of course) so she’ll eventually eat her pellets and hay. I’ve been lessening the treats and she does eat her hay more. Right now she’s in this phase of eating her pellets first and not touching her hay until later in the day but she’s eating hay (which was my main concern). He told me I can email him anytime (thankfully) if she completely stops eating. I have critical care (this fine grind one and some apple banana flavor) if anything ever goes wrong. Recently I’ve been making more time with her and even got her some interactive toys which she’s been enjoying. I do plan on getting her a companion if possible/when the time is right! Thank you for the advice!!

Just want to update if anyone’s curious

Took her to a vet today, no GI Stasis, her teeth are fine. The vet said he could tell she’s very stubborn and she’s a great weight. I guess I worried for nothing but she had several tests done including xrays, checked her hips, thorough check in her ears, etc. The vet says she has some behavioral issues we need to fix since she does nip when she doesn’t get her food or way. Thank you everyone for the advice!
That’s great
Thank you, she’s already seen a vet, I had several exams done on her including x rays. No GI Stasis according to the vet (30% of his patients are rabbits too so I’m trusting him). He told she is in very good health but he noticed she’s very sassy/dominant. Right now we are working on her behavior because she gets in these stages where she will only eat veggies and treats and will nip me when she doesn’t get her way. He said she won’t starve herself (if healthy and not sick of course) so she’ll eventually eat her pellets and hay. I’ve been lessening the treats and she does eat her hay more. Right now she’s in this phase of eating her pellets first and not touching her hay until later in the day but she’s eating hay (which was my main concern). He told me I can email him anytime (thankfully) if she completely stops eating. I have critical care (this fine grind one and some apple banana flavor) if anything ever goes wrong. Recently I’ve been making more time with her and even got her some interactive toys which she’s been enjoying. I do plan on getting her a companion if possible/when the time is right! Thank you for the advice!!
I’m so glad she’s ok! Good luck working with her attitude. I have one similar (she nips, digs and nudges you hard if you get in her way lol) but she’ll eat anything you put in front of her.

Latest posts

Back