Rabbit not eating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi folks. My 4 year old rabbit was fine yesterday but today refuses her food. Drinking water abd I got her some new carrot and basil to tempt her. She just sniffs them. I have booked her in to the vet to check her teeth. But concerned if I leave it too long she will go downhill fast. Have I overacted?

It's not an over reaction if she's not eating. If there are signs of bloat, diarrhea, heat stroke, it's been more than 12-24 hours since a rabbit last ate, or other critical signs of deterioration, that's considered an emergency.

I would first make sure it's not from excessively high environmental temperatures and a high body temp, which could be an immediate emergency if signs of heat stroke are present. Then if that's ruled out and she's acting normally but is just not able to chew, a dental problem is most likely and does need to be addressed right away if she's not eating much or anything. Pellets/nuggets softened in warm water(made fresh) can sometimes help get a rabbit eating a little until it's time for the vet.

If she is instead acting abnormally and lethargic along with not eating, and it's not due to heat stress, then it could be an upset stomach. In this case, I will usually try 3 doses of baby gas drops(simethicone) an hour apart each, in case of minor to moderate gas pain, and see if that helps. But if by soon after the third dose my rabbit isn't back to normal, that usually means it's time to get to the vet straight away as it's something more serious.

Also making sure a rabbit is warm and not hypothermic, which can happen when a rabbit is feeling unwell. I will feel the ears and if they feel really cold then I will use a rabbit safe warm pack to try and help warm up my rabbit(really hot ears would mean heat stress and a warm pack should not be used but cooling methods instead, or vet immediately if signs of heat stroke). If an upset stomach is suspected, gentle belly massage and encouraging movement can also sometimes help.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Thank you for your very good reply. I took her to the vet. They gave her two injections to get her gut stimulated. Her body temp was a bit high the vet said. She’s out on weight since her last visit too. I’ve brought her home encouraging her to eat greens. She’s nibbling them and hay. She just seems to want to sit. Vet said to bring her back if no change and they will keep her in for observation. So difficult. She’s fully vaccinated too.

It's good that she's wanting to eat some food on her own. Did the vet also give you pain meds(meloxicam) to give at home?

It's good that she's wanting to eat some food on her own. Did the vet also give you pain meds(meloxicam) to give at home?
Thank you we have that at home and are giving her this. I lost a rabbit 2 year ago and despite visits to the vet we had to have her put to sleep. I don’t want to give up on this one but equally don’t want to see her have seizures like my other.

It's not an over reaction if she's not eating. If there are signs of bloat, diarrhea, heat stroke, it's been more than 12-24 hours since a rabbit last ate, or other critical signs of deterioration, that's considered an emergency.

I would first make sure it's not from excessively high environmental temperatures and a high body temp, which could be an immediate emergency if signs of heat stroke are present. Then if that's ruled out and she's acting normally but is just not able to chew, a dental problem is most likely and does need to be addressed right away if she's not eating much or anything. Pellets/nuggets softened in warm water(made fresh) can sometimes help get a rabbit eating a little until it's time for the vet.

If she is instead acting abnormally and lethargic along with not eating, and it's not due to heat stress, then it could be an upset stomach. In this case, I will usually try 3 doses of baby gas drops(simethicone) an hour apart each, in case of minor to moderate gas pain, and see if that helps. But if by soon after the third dose my rabbit isn't back to normal, that usually means it's time to get to the vet straight away as it's something more serious.

Also making sure a rabbit is warm and not hypothermic, which can happen when a rabbit is feeling unwell. I will feel the ears and if they feel really cold then I will use a rabbit safe warm pack to try and help warm up my rabbit(really hot ears would mean heat stress and a warm pack should not be used but cooling methods instead, or vet immediately if signs of heat stroke). If an upset stomach is suspected, gentle belly massage and encouraging movement can also sometimes help.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/
Hi just letting you all know she’s eating again and the critical care helped so she eating her greens just making sure her guts kept going. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back