Rabbit not eating or urinating

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmalouise3101

Reaction score
My house rabbit is not eating, urinating or moving much. I went to the vet and I've been told it's the weather. Bit I am still worried. Any advice

I never can feel something unusual, takes quite some experience and the right circumstances I guess - but since that is practically a belly massage it might actually help.

What I do when this happens is that I make the rabbit move, keep it hopping for half a minute or so every now and then. Or I give belly massages, actually I put the rabbit on my leg, facing me, and rock the whole rabbit for some minutes and pet it thoroughly. Sometimes this helps to get things moving again. I repeat it every hour or so, every two through the night.

I also give simethicone - baby gas drops, at least 20mg per serving - , either mixed into a little kitchen oatmeal if the rabbit still eats, or mixed in water with a syringe. If the rabbit hasn't eaten for 6 hours i syringe feed some water, and some painkiller.

And I try to make them eat. Holding some hay against their nose until they bite into it out of anger sometimes works. I have dried stuff for such occasions, willow and apple leaves, nettles, butterbur. Even in winter blackberry leaves, narrowleaf plantain etc. can be found.

If nothing works for a night I'm off to the vet ASAP.

I can't better the advice given above but wouldonlyadd,from personal experience,that timeis really of the essence in these cases.rabbits give you little time to seek a remedy or provideone yourself.Not eating could be from a variety of causes,including dental or mouth problems,internal blockages from ingesting some material,poor nutrition and lack of the necessary vitaminswhich promote appetite,and of course GI stasis.Find your nearest recommended vet through a reputable rabbit help site ASAP,in the meantime keep the rabbit warm and quiet,and apply massage and the gas medication if he feels bloated.Some water by syringe is also good.Not urinating could also have a variety of causes,including kidney and bladder infections and blockages such as stones.at any rate it certainly isn't due to the weather- rabbits,including mine,do get depressed in dull weather(as do I!),but that wouldn't account for the problems you describe.Givehimlots of attention and massages.Good luck.

Latest posts

Back