Rabbit not eating or pooping.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk97157

Reaction score
My 2 year old rabbit suddenly stopped eating/drinking and pooping. Since last night, he's been acting different - he isn't as playful and spends hours just sitting in the corner of his cage He won't touch his hay or pellets, and won't even eat his favorite treats. He's also not drinking his water, though I've been providing him fluids through a syringe. All of the emergency vets in my area aren't treating rabbits, and the vet I do see isn't open until Monday which is a few days away. I'm worried that it may be GI stasis. Is there anything I can do now at home to prevent his condition from worsening? Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You really need to find a vet.. Your rabbit needed to be seen today. It definitely can't wait until Monday. Your rabbit could be dead by then. It's considered an emergency when a rabbit hasn't eaten for more than 12-24 hours.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
You could try baby gas drops(simethicone) in case it's gas pain causing the lack of appetite. But it's been so long since your rabbit last ate, that I'm not sure gas drops will help at this point. Dosing info is in the link below. You could also try offering leafy greens to see if he'll eat those on his own.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
If there are absolutely no vets you can get your rabbit to, even if you have to drive several hours to get to one, then I would maybe try syringe feeding a pellet slurry, as a rabbit cannot survive long without food keeping it's digestive tract moving. But doing this with the understanding that if there is bloat or a complete gut blockage going on, syringe feeding can seriously worsen the rabbits condition and could even prove fatal.

You really need to find a vet.. Your rabbit needed to be seen today. It definitely can't wait until Monday. Your rabbit could be dead by then. It's considered an emergency when a rabbit hasn't eaten for more than 12-24 hours.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
You could try baby gas drops(simethicone) in case it's gas pain causing the lack of appetite. But it's been so long since your rabbit last ate, that I'm not sure gas drops will help at this point. Dosing info is in the link below. You could also try offering leafy greens to see if he'll eat those on his own.

https://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/
If there are absolutely no vets you can get your rabbit to, even if you have to drive several hours to get to one, then I would maybe try syringe feeding a pellet slurry, as a rabbit cannot survive long without food keeping it's digestive tract moving. But doing this with the understanding that if there is bloat or a complete gut blockage going on, syringe feeding can seriously worsen the rabbits condition and could even prove fatal.

I'll definitely see if I can find someone, though he's actually started to eat again. He ate small amounts of his hay, but he isn't eating his pellets. He's also drinking water on his own and has started to poop a bit. Though I did notice that some of his poop was strung together with hair. I also just gave him some gas drops, so hopefully that helps!

I'll definitely see if I can find someone, though he's actually started to eat again. He ate small amounts of his hay, but he isn't eating his pellets. He's also drinking water on his own and has started to poop a bit. Though I did notice that some of his poop was strung together with hair. I also just gave him some gas drops, so hopefully that helps!
Possible reason could be his fur, then?

It's fine he's not eating pellets. In fact, it's better that he's eating hay as the fiber from it is what he really needs right now to help with his gut motility. And lots of fluids. So don't worry about the pellet eating. As long as he is munching on hay and drinking water, those are really good signs.

Latest posts

Back