Rabbit Noises?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipkinbunRibb

PippyBunny
Reaction score
I am well aware of a rabbit's ability to communicate through body language and noise, but I've never heard of this noise before/read about it and was wondering if anybody knew what my bunny is trying to tell me.

So I've only heard him make this noise while he is in his cage, I just heard it about 5 minutes ago and he just started again right now, both occasions on today he was grooming himself. I've heard it about 3 times within 5 days all while he is in his cage. He doesn't appear scared or in any discomfort. The 1st time was while he was laying down all stretched out, the 2nd time was while he was just sitting in his cage, and the two today was while he was grooming himself. :dunno:

It's going to be very difficult to describe the noise.. hahaha but it was almost a little similar like if a hand was rubbed on glass if you know that type of..squeak noise it makes? Or when a rabbit makes a grunting noise while wanting to mate, its like a higher pitched version of that. The level of pitch is kind of similar to how alvin sounds in alvin and the chipmunks but a little lower and muffled haha. This is really embaressing I just don't know how else to describe it? :dunno:
And its one single syllable as the length, and then after about 10 seconds he does it again, and then another 10 seconds and etc. He does it around maybe 4-5 times and then he just stops? Please help I'd be very impressed if you understood anything I just wrote haha :imstupid

Is he grooming a particular spot when he makes the noise? I would check him out to make sure he doesn't have anything on his skin or anything, so you know its not a pain response.

Maybe its a happy noise because hes getting a really good spot cleaned?
Is he over weight? Maybe hes grunting because its a hard spot to clean.

I've never heard anything but grunting from my rabbit.
I have heard of rabbits randomly screaming, which is probably terrible.

Could you get a video of it?

I have heard Thumper thump of course, teeth purr and when he is happy either playing with me, eating and sometimes while grooming he makes a noise that I can only describe as sounding like a ferret chooking (chooking not choking). It could be your bun is just making a happy sound as none of those activities would be something an angry bun would do but I would keep an eye just in case it could be a pain sound for him.

Is he grooming a particular spot when he makes the noise? I would check him out to make sure he doesn't have anything on his skin or anything, so you know its not a pain response.

Maybe its a happy noise because hes getting a really good spot cleaned?
Is he over weight? Maybe hes grunting because its a hard spot to clean.

I've never heard anything but grunting from my rabbit.
I have heard of rabbits randomly screaming, which is probably terrible.

Could you get a video of it?

Thank you all for the responses, and no, I've seen him grooming his side, back, cleaning his face while he makes the noise. I don't think it is a pain noise because I feel like his body language would be way different, less relaxed and more stiff. I've tried getting video but when I come over he gets excited and stops grooming and just investigates why im over there with a camera haha. I guess he just getting a good scratch or relaxed :bunnyheart:happyrabbit:

Latest posts

Back