Rabbit nips me for fun?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softcottoncloud☁️

Reaction score
Both of my rabbits could either be licking me and then suddenly nip me or just nip me and when I put my hand near them again/my hand is still there then they will either lick again or start binkying... They don't really nip too hard but am I promoting bad behavior or something? Will it get worse if I don't stop them? Or should I just let it be?

My rabbit does this also. I believe it's either their way of playing with us or them telling us to move out of the way. When they do it you could try squealing/screaming, turning your back to them (this shows disapproval in rabbits), shouting no, and if it is done in a playful way, you could hold a toy in front of them and let them chew and play with you that way.

My rabbits have nipped me with what you described.
Both of my rabbits could either be licking me and then suddenly nip me or just nip me and when I put my hand near them again/my hand is still there then they will either lick again or start binkying... They don't really nip too hard but am I promoting bad behavior or something? Will it get worse if I don't stop them? Or should I just let it be?

My rabbits have done the same thing. I've been nipped when my rabbit wants to be petted or feels he isn't getting enough attention when I stopped petting him for a second.
I've had rabbit that was sprayed and she nip to show dominance and for attention.

It seems like rambunctious behavior that is how rabbit communicate. A few thing I've have done is, letting out a scream or a yelp out when I've been nipped.

If that doesn't work I had them go in their area or their cage for a little bit if they continue on with this behavior to show that good behavior is associated with free roaming. If they bit me again after having a time out they would go back into their area.

If you wish to "punish" your rabbit for behaving in a way that you deem inappropriate, the best way is to (immediately after the bad behavior), firmly but gently press their head down to the floor. This mimics the way that a mommy bunn would discipline her kits if they did something she didn't like, so your rabbit will instinctively know what it means (whether or not they care is another story entirely, heh).

Latest posts

Back