Rabbit never flops and rarely binkies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vxllichor

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve had my rabbit (he’s a Netherland Dwarf) for about 4 years now, and he’s never flopped, and rarely binkies. When we first adopted him, he binkied all the time! He has free roam between his cage and play area, and I make sure to get him plenty of toys to play with. He always seems a little bit on edge, which worries me. He’s never really seemed to like me much either, which always made me feel as though I was doing something wrong? He’s not neutered, and I think this may be the problem? Can somebody help?

Bunnies binky more than adult rabbits, so part of it is that he is just getting older. My Netherland is six, but I got him when he was four. He is nice and calm when I have him on my lap, but once I put him down, he wants nothing to do with people. He is good at coming when called, but I am sure that is because I give him a treat when he comes. He takes the treat and runs off with it. On a rare occasion, he will let me pet his head if I approach him slowly. Netherlands are a lively breed, and so I just accept that it is part of his personality. I have three other rabbits, and all of them are friendly towards me, but I do something special with all of them. I take my mini rex to agility, and my two mix breeds do therapy work. I have used my Netherland for therapy before because he sits so well, but it has not changed his attitude, so I quit using him for therapy because I think he just tolerates it. I have tried leash training him, and worked with him on jumping hurdles, but he just got annoyed with me. I have fostered two other Netherlands, and neither of them were people friendly. I have seen some friendly Netherlands, but wonder if being standoffish could be part of the personality of the breed?

Bunnies can also show in other way that they are happy.

My netherland dwarf flops and binky’s everyday, a bundle of energy.

But my french lop (6 year old) will only sleep most of the day, she will binky sometimes when she get to run lose in the yard or get to a new area. Otherwise she will never binky and she never flop. But she will always sleep extremely relaxed. Meaning she feel safe. As long the bunnies feel safe and living their life, I’m happy.

They don’t have to be clingy, binky and flop. 2 of my bunnies are clingy while one of them is extremely afraid of humans (the one sleeping in the picture). He always avoid humans and will always be extremely careful, but he sleep like a log. At least telling he feel safe being with us. Even though we haven’t earned his full trust yet.

IMG_4875.jpg

My both lop girls flop and feel safe but I never saw them binky. Smokey is about 7 months and Bernie 1 year old. Smokey is a very active rabbit and she's very strong as well, and Bernie was a bit overweight for binkies she couldn't even jump on her bench like 15-20 cm up when I've got her over 3 months ago but now she's in an excellent shape and can jump easily into her toilet box which is 18 cm high and out of her cage she wasn't able to do that I had a step chair there so she could get out of her cage, same with Fred he couldn't jump at all he wasn't fat but I thought he was very old and ill, but now both are great and more active but still no binkies.
Leo binkies sometimes especially when in new area but less than when he was a baby, he's 7 months now and honestly not getting enough attention from me, I can't wait when they will be all fixed and bonded so we can spend time all together think they'd be much happier that way. They all flop and feel safe in their spaces.

Some do and some don't. We had a Dutch mix that I called the Binky King as he did it a lot, even past 10 years and he was always that way. We have had 2 that could sleep around the clock, and one that flopped a lot--we have also had 47 rescues in our life during the last 2 decades, which is quite a large number.

Bernie just did it last morning, for first time and it was beautiful! :)

Full story: She dug her toilet box a couple days ago it was all over the place so I gave her a special box for digging and changed her toilet box to non-diggable, unfortunately a little smaller than she had but not significantly she still can lay in it and all. I filled her digbox with hay and a small amount of wood pellets in the corners just in case, she was so happy she spent there day and night and of course she wants to dig a hole there so she moved all the hay out of it that was okay but she became a little over excited and peed on hay outside her toilet I didn't like it and told her Bernie I don't like it you need to go to your toilet box it's nice and red she didn't say anything so I just removed all hay from the floor and cleaned with vinegar and left her digbox empty this time. So when I invited her back to her cage her floor was clean and she loves when it's clean I have to say, and firstly she checked her toilet if it's all good and then she jumped out and then she just jumped quickly on the roof of her digbox and back and on again and did binky as if she was just a baby rabbit! :) It was amazing she looks so happy and much younger than when I've got her. She was 7 months old then and maybe because she lived outside and kids didn't spend much time with her she wasn't very active, and she was a bit fat, because not much exercise and parents probably felt guilty for leaving her on her own most of time so she got lots of treats like full apple, orange and full big carrot and her bowl was very large size too. She is a very good hay eater as well but it's healthy and she's generally a very healthy and responsible rabbit, so it was almost impossible to imagine that she could jump or do binkies like a teenager :))
I am so happy now I never thought she'd do it very happy :)

Latest posts

Back