Rabbit needs to see me feed him

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody else has this issue.

Dortmund needs to physically see me feed him in order for him to believe I’ve given him food. The little guy likes to wake up around 4:30 in the morning and eat. His method of telling me he wants num nums is to do zoomies around my bed and binkies on my back and head.

i thought I could fix this behavior by just filling his bowl at 2:00 when I go to sleep, but he all but ignores his food until I get up and pretend to fiddle with his litter box. Sometimes he will even sit beside the full food bowl (without even looking in it) waiting for me to come over there and wave my hand over his munchies.

is this normal

No unfortunately thats not normal.
By filling his bowl I assume pellets,
well you could try putting those on the ground and scatter feeding it and maybe try to make noise with it.
Does he drink his water?

well you could try putting those on the ground and scatter feeding it and maybe try to make noise with it.

If he doesn't eat the bowl of pellets until @Flakes waves her hand over the bowl, it's doubtful Dortmund will scavenge for them.

I've not heard this behavior before but it sounds rather endearing. Bunny has trained his owner well! ;)

I was just wondering if anybody else has this issue.

Dortmund needs to physically see me feed him in order for him to believe I’ve given him food. The little guy likes to wake up around 4:30 in the morning and eat. His method of telling me he wants num nums is to do zoomies around my bed and binkies on my back and head.

i thought I could fix this behavior by just filling his bowl at 2:00 when I go to sleep, but he all but ignores his food until I get up and pretend to fiddle with his litter box. Sometimes he will even sit beside the full food bowl (without even looking in it) waiting for me to come over there and wave my hand over his munchies.

is this normal
You trained him well 🙃

I have two rabbits,both of whom like to be encouraged,verbally and physically,to eat when they are at liberty in the living room in the evening.they will feed perfectly well without it,but with it they seem to relish the food even more.Likewise,when I'm eating,they like to eat at the same time,and while it's very endearing,and a sign that they love you and want to copy your actions,it also goes back to natural behaviour,where a warren of rabbits will all feed together,and the act of seeing others feeding encourages and comforts them.As others have said,he's a smart little fella and has obviously trained you well!

No unfortunately thats not normal.
Does he drink his water?

He drinks a lot of water and he doesn't like pellets -- will only eat them every now and then, otherwise he uses them as bedding. I feed him hay and veggies every morning and every evening.

Some people don’t even feed their rabbits pellets as long as he eats his hay (mostly) and greens 🙂
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html
The people who do this also have a very close eye on the nutrients that their rabbit is getting, because pellets have added nutrients that rabbits need. If their rabbit doesn't get enough nutrients they will give them a supplement. I do not suggest a no-pellet diet.

Latest posts

Back