Rabbit litter box issues, sort of?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remy The Rabbit

Reaction score
As some of you know, Remy has cage where he sleeps at night (sometimes, the door is open at night too) He has a hay feeder and a large litterbox at one corner. There's carefresh bedding everywhere else, just lining the bottom of the cage. He mostly will go to the bathroom in the litterbox, but there's poop scattered along the bottom of the cage too (where all the carefresh is) It's a struggle to clean and wastes a lot of bedding when I change it, and I just want him to go in the litterbox. Is there anything I can do to correct this? Does anyone have suggestions or advice? I would be glad to hear some input. Thank you all in advance! Take care and best wishes :D

Here's a photo of Remy just because I thought he looked cute ~

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_120335.jpg
    IMG_20200831_120335.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 6
-Only put carefresh IN the litter tray, use fleece or a towel as bedding in the rest of the cage if you must.
Carefresh is used as an absorbent/deodorizer/litter bedding and quite expensive to just scatter along the rest of the cage for soft bedding imo.
-Pick up the poop straight away and put it in litter tray.

I love his colour :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for these tips! I'm probably going to go clean out his cage today and replace the bedding with a towel and see how it goes. LOL ty for saying you like his color :D

Some rabbits will chew and consume parts of a towel. The threads can tangle in their gut if they do. So keep an eye on the towel. If the towel does not work, you can try fleece fabric (has no threads).

Some rabbits will chew and consume parts of a towel. The threads can tangle in their gut if they do. So keep an eye on the towel. If the towel does not work, you can try fleece fabric (has no threads).
Okay, although I don't think I have any fleece on me. I'll just watch him

Whatever you use there will probably get pooped on - especially at the beginning. But it will still be easier to clean since it can just be shaken off and put back.

Thank you very much @Blue eyes, means a lot to me that you were willing to help. Also on the post about the user finding two stray rabbits, I'd like to apologize since I was misinformed and I shouldn't have replied. Again, thank you so much.

Not sure what your Kmarts are like in the USA, but in Australia, they are fantastic for pets!
I got all my fleece throw from Kmart: 1.27m x 1.52m for $4AUD ($2.50USD)

Oh ok! I don't know if there's any Kmarts where I live, but I'll look up if there are any local ones, that's a good price :D

I'm sorry I just read a whole blog from a US citizen that Australian Kmarts are completely different in the US!
We have a whole Kmart cult here coz they're so amazing haha. Fleece is relatively cheap, fabric stores.. omigoodness, I just saw Ikea sells same-ish size for $3AUD :OOOO!!!!!

I'm guessing the fleece @poopandpee is referring to, may be similar to what our WalMarts often carry. These fleece 'blankets' are much thinner than the fleece you'll get at the fabric store (which is why they are so cheap -- often $2.50). But do be aware that they have loose stitching around the edges which, again, can be chewed by some rabbits. I suppose it could be cut off if your rabbits chews it, but some won't bother with it anyway so it won't be an issue.

Attachments

• 100_9156 (1).JPG
    100_9156 (1).JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 2
Oh yeah, I think I've seen that before, I'm gonna ask my parents to let me buy some :D
Thanks guys!
And @Blue eyes, do you have any tips on how to dicourage him from pooping on the fleece outside the litterbox?

I only use carefresh in my litter box and I use fleece on the floor. My bunny learned pretty quick to go in the litter box she peed once on the fleece and I sopped it up with a paper towel and put in in her litter box and sometimes I’ll find little poo balls and I’ll put them in the litter box and now she pretty much has no accidents. I would try it and see if it works a lot less waste using carefresh as bedding and also might confuse your bunny if your using it as bedding and using it in the litter box too Good luck with your bunny so cute!

Thank you! I don't use carefresh in the litterbox although, just pine pellets and hay :D

I would really try the fleece. I was using carefresh also as bedding but then I switched to the fleece I was concerned she might eat it but she’s done very well and it’s a lot easier to clean also and then just add the carefresh to your litter box or whatever u want to use add hay or a hayrack right behind the litter box to get your bunny to go in. And if you see any accidents put it in the litter box and you’ll be surprised how well it works. Atleast it worked for me every bunny is different 😂

Lol yeah I'm going to try the fleece, I already have a hayrack, I've had him for a while :D

Latest posts

Back