Rabbit legs shaking when walking

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiddlesticks

Reaction score
I’m really concerned about my dwarf lop, over the past couple of days I’ve noticed that his back legs have been shaking when he walks, this is unusual for him and it’s a considerable amount of shaking and trembling.
After letting him outside in his run today, something he usually hops and jumps about excitedly, I noticed he only hopped around a small amount and his legs still trembled.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I’ve booked an appointment to get him checked out at the vets.

Hind leg weakness can be caused by several things. A temporary cause that usually resolves in a week would be a mild case of floppy rabbit syndrome, possibly caused by a potassium deficiency. Or there could be a leg or hip injury. Then there are more serious things like head and spinal trauma, balance issues from an inner ear infection, and e. cuniculi. Other possibilities in older rabbits, are issues like arthritis and spinal degeneration.

If there are no signs of it being a balance issue, and no signs of injury, spinal issues, or it being due to old age, it's likely the vet will want to treat for EC, with fenbendazole(panacur), meloxicam(anti inflammatory), and possibly an antibiotic cover(eg. baytril). It's just a guess though, and hopefully your vet will be able to pinpoint the cause.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/paresis.html

Latest posts

Back