Rabbit keeps licking/sniffing/eating something from his groin area?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
Hey, guys so I’ve noticed that my rabbit has been picking at his private area a lot. Any thoughts as to what this might mean? After he picks at his groin it seems like he’s munching on something.. not sure what’s going on but it has me concerned. Can anyone explain the possible reasons why he might doing this or what it means.

pinworms possibly it makes their bum ichy
How do they get pinworms? Should I take him too a vet and see what they say? He’s been running around, eating, pooping and drinking so.. yeah. Only thing is that he’s been doing that. He licks/picks at his genital area(possibly his penis) I’m not sure if he’s able to reach us bum from there. He munches on something I’m not sure what it is. If he can reach his bum then I would’ve assumed he’s eating cecotropes or something but then again he’s been doing it a lot today. I haven’t seen any small white worms on his anus or in his poops at all.

My bunny just had pinworms, still his active and sweet self. First he licked him bum alot, then a week or two later he got some pinworms in his poop

My bunny just had pinworms, still his active and sweet self. First he licked him bum alot, then a week or two later he got some pinworms in his poop
Wow /: That sucks big time. Is there any medicine I can look for? I wouldn’t want him to be uncomfortable even tho he is happy. Do I have to take him to the vet or can I get some sort of medicine to put in this water

Equibits worked great for me. I gave him one pellet per pound. so 3 and a tiny piece. Cleared them out in 4 days. He is still on equibits to make sure they are out. You will notice more fur coming out because pinworms make the coat bad

Equibits worked great for me. I gave him one pellet per pound. so 3 and a tiny piece. Cleared them out in 4 days. He is still on equibits to make sure they are out. You will notice more fur coming out because pinworms make the coat bad
So this?

Attachments

• 1A6DBF64-7EB8-4A9C-AA07-B47B1760A816.png
    1A6DBF64-7EB8-4A9C-AA07-B47B1760A816.png
    392 KB · Views: 0
My rabbit has been losing fur but I think its just shedding. I don’t see any bald patches either. I’m gonna check his groin area for irritation as well as the other parts. I might check his penis too just to see if that part is okay I just wanna me sure.

Is it him eating cecotropes? A good give away for cecotropes is you'll smell a certain funk if you give a good sniff by his mouth while munching.

There is also the possibility that your rabbit is just grooming down there since he is shedding and therefore eating fur (which is normal, especially during a molt).

Is it him eating cecotropes? A good give away for cecotropes is you'll smell a certain funk if you give a good sniff by his mouth while munching.

There is also the possibility that your rabbit is just grooming down there since he is shedding and therefore eating fur (which is normal, especially during a molt).
This made me feel better. Thank you and I will do that next time. When I do take a whiff should it smell bad like obviously it won’t smell good but like it’ll have a weird smell yes? If I don’t smell anything then what is the next step? He does it pretty frequently but I feel like that’s normal since rabbits love to bathe. They love to be clean. To be fair, his coat is nice and shiny. It’s always been that way. Doesn’t lose much fur either ways. I’m always petting him and it just comes out. By the way, should I get a comb now? I heard the hair buster is good. Should I get it now or wait?

He's eating his cecotropes. That's what it is when a rabbit reaches down there and comes up munching.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/why-do-rabbits-eat-their-own-poop/

It would be inadvisable to use dewormer pellets intended for much larger livestock. You have no way to determine if a rabbit is getting the appropriate dose, too low of a dose which can create parasite resistance, or too high of a dose that could risk a possible OD. Deworming should only be done with the appropriate med in the appropriate form for proper dosing. And preferably only when a vet has done a fecal float to determine if worms are present, or if current symptoms indicate intestinal worms are likely.

He's eating his cecotropes. That's what it is when a rabbit reaches down there and comes up munching.

https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/why-do-rabbits-eat-their-own-poop/

It would be inadvisable to use dewormer pellets intended for much larger livestock. You have no way to determine if a rabbit is getting the appropriate dose, too low of a dose which can create parasite resistance, or too high of a dose that could risk a possible OD. Deworming should only be done with the appropriate med in the appropriate form for proper dosing. And preferably only when a vet has done a fecal float to determine if worms are present, or if current symptoms indicate intestinal worms are likely.
Nice! Thank you! And wow glad you told me about that.

I had to call my rescue, they told me to use this since I couldn't get him to a vet. I did some research on it and also hooks holland uses it

Hey, guys so I’ve noticed that my rabbit has been picking at his private area a lot. Any thoughts as to what this might mean? After he picks at his groin it seems like he’s munching on something.. not sure what’s going on but it has me concerned. Can anyone explain the possible reasons why he might doing this or what it means.
Cecotropes. Those grape-cluster shaped poop. They eat them to redigest them. Tu Shen and Xiao Wu do the same thing during the grooming process.
What Rabbit Poop Tells You About Their Health (bunnylady.com)

Last edited:
Is it bad for them to do it kind of a lot on one day? I noticed he did before like 1-2 times but he kind of did it more today. That’s why I was concerned. He produced some small and poops just now too.
If he's producing more, he may be ingesting too much sugar. But is normal for a rabbit to do it. Rabbits like to groom a LOT. They are very clean animals. So them eating their cecotropes is not all that uncommon. Be concerned when they don't groom, among other unusual behavior, such as lack of eat and pooping.

If he's producing more, he may be ingesting too much sugar. But is normal for a rabbit to do it. Rabbits like to groom a LOT. They are very clean animals. So them eating their cecotropes is not all that uncommon. Be concerned when they don't groom, among other unusual behavior, such as lack of eat and pooping.
Alright! Thank you.

Latest posts

Back