Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My rabbit willow has dental disease and I am used to her mood and interest in food fluctuating after about a month of not having her teeth filed down. But she abruptly became hesitant to eat and her behavior has shifted. I am unsure what is going on. I do know that she took a small bite out of an ivy plant in our back yard. She had a literal bite out of the leaf, but she became hesitant to eat the morning after that. I’m not sure whether it is her teeth that is bothering her or the ivy? Any thoughts? I haven’t mentioned the ivy to my vet, as I am unsure of the amount of ivy she ate would have an effect on her.

Can you send a picture of the plant she ate? What has she eaten today? Keep her hydrated and eating. I would offer her some fresh soaking wet veggies because it will hydrate her while also filling her tummy. You don't want her to go into stasis. I do think it is probably her teeth bothering her and not the ivy, so I would call your vet and ask what they think. Is she drooling?

No drool. She has a split front tooth. She is getting syringe fed water and critical care as per vet instructions. But i’ll send a picture of the plant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 3
I think that is English Ivy and it is poisonous to rabbits. I would keep a super close eye on her because based on this link it sounds like she has been poisoned. Keep feeding her Critical Care, unless she begins eating on her own. If she gets worse please take her to the vet.

Not sure if you have different spieces over there, but my rabbits pretty much killed all ivy where they have access to. Never eat much of it, but a nibble now and then is enough to kill it off. Poisoning a rabbit with plants is not likely, there are very few that can kick a rabbit out of it's boots, no matter what lists on the internet say. Mine are used to forage on their own, and rabbits use some toxic plants as medication. A test bite shouldn't do any harm, it's not that poisonous.
Problems might occure with rabbits that didn't learn what, and what not or how much, like an indoor rabbit that gets exited over everything green and can't tell what is harmful.

Latest posts

Back