Rabbit injured, mouth bleeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckaylawiki

Reaction score
my bunny had ran under my bed and when I called her I hadn’t realized she came and ran under my leg and I set my leg down on top of her then she start crying and ran away to hide from me. Once I got her out I comforted her and I noticed that she was bleeding with from her mouth or nose and she has trouble breathing. Sometimes it’s really loud and other times it’s quiet. She’s still moving fine. She hasn’t ate anything yet. What do I do?

Only a vet will be able to check her over thoroughly and determine if she has a jaw or soft tissue injury that needs vet attention. If she is having difficulty breathing and/or is mouth breathing, it's an emergency and you need to get her to a rabbit vet right now. If she isn't having any problems breathing, then she will need to be seen by a vet soon if she has a deep laceration that might need stitching, if a front incisor got broken, and/or if she doesn't start eating again within 12-24 hours as a rabbit not eating for that long becomes an emergency situation.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I went ahead and changed your thread title. It's important to be more specific in naming your thread, so members know what it's generally about and if they want to click on it and comment.

Only a vet will be able to check her over thoroughly and determine if she has a jaw or soft tissue injury that needs vet attention. If she is having difficulty breathing and/or is mouth breathing, it's an emergency and you need to get her to a rabbit vet right now. If she isn't having any problems breathing, then she will need to be seen by a vet soon if she has a deep laceration that might need stitching, if a front incisor got broken, and/or if she doesn't start eating again within 12-24 hours as a rabbit not eating for that long becomes an emergency situation.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
I went ahead and changed your thread title. It's important to be more specific in naming your thread, so members know what it's generally about and if they want to click on it and comment.
I’m a new pet owner and she’s about 5-6 weeks old. Obviously I don’t know much but is there a possibility where her nose could be clogged? There is no vet open right now, do you think she’ll be ok through the night?

Difficulty breathing is always an emergency, rabbits can't breathe through their mouths well, like humans can, so if she is struggling to breathe through her nose she's in trouble. How's she doing now, any change? Are you able to take a look and see where exactly the blood is coming from?

If her nose is clogged, it would be because of an injury obstructing the nasal passage in some way, like from bleeding into the nasal passage or tissue swelling obstructing the nasal passage.

I can't say if she'll be ok. Only a vet can determine this. But if she is having real difficulty breathing, particularly if she is opening her mouth at all to try and breath or raising her nose into the air and struggling to get a breath, then it can't wait, as respiratory distress is an emergency. If it's an emergency, then you'll need to phone around to emergency vet clinics to see if you can find one with an exotics vet on shift.

If she seems to be ok breathing but isn't back to normal behavior wise and eating by morning, I would phone a rabbit vet first thing. Tell them about her injury and that she isn't eating. She will need to be seen tomorrow, as a rabbit not eating needs to be seen as an emergency.

Medirabbit (photos of rabbit mouth breathing)

If her nose is clogged, it would be because of an injury obstructing the nasal passage in some way, like from bleeding into the nasal passage or tissue swelling obstructing the nasal passage.

I can't say if she'll be ok. Only a vet can determine this. But if she is having real difficulty breathing, particularly if she is opening her mouth at all to try and breath or raising her nose into the air and struggling to get a breath, then it can't wait, as respiratory distress is an emergency. If it's an emergency, then you'll need to phone around to emergency vet clinics to see if you can find one with an exotics vet on shift.

If she seems to be ok breathing but isn't back to normal behavior wise and eating by morning, I would phone a rabbit vet first thing. Tell them about her injury and that she isn't eating. She will need to be seen tomorrow, as a rabbit not eating needs to be seen as an emergency.

AE65D7BB-1CB2-47B8-9E46-9ADCE92C7721.jpeg
This is what her mouth looks like

Difficulty breathing is always an emergency, rabbits can't breathe through their mouths well, like humans can, so if she is struggling to breathe through her nose she's in trouble. How's she doing now, any change? Are you able to take a look and see where exactly the blood is coming from?
She’s just trying to rest now, she isn’t eating. I believe her tooth jammed into her mouth because her teeth aren’t aligned.

View attachment 53928
This is what her mouth looks like
She’s not gasping for air or anything it’s just when she breaths at times it sound like a squeaker toy

Latest posts

Back