Rabbit ingested hand sanitizer...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelonBread

Reaction score
Will my rabbit be okay?
Some hand sanitizer got on my carpet and I saw him licking it and quickly showed him away. I don’t think it was a lot because it was on the ground for around five minutes. It just happened now, should I worry? Will it harm him?

Call the poison control number on the hand sanitizer’ bottle... they should be able to give advice on this situation. Monitor your bunny closely.

Lets be honest... If the rabbit truely got a lick of it they wouldn't continue. Anyone ever accidentally get a taste of hand sanitizer? HORRIBLE!
If its the alcohol kind.... That type of alcohol if consumed can do brain and liver damage.... but not likely in microscopic amounts just once.
The other kind is more chemicals but again... liver/kidney. And youd need more then a slight lick.

I'm pretty sure they don't use methanol (the toxic stuff) in anything people come in contact with, if it's ethanol or 2-propanol it's harmless in such small amounts.

If the rabbit was drinking a whole bottles of hand sanitizer on a continual basis, I would say the rabbit has an addiction. It would be best to get a vet to intervene to the kick the habit. I'm sure the rabbit is fine and doesn't have an addiction.

Latest posts

Back