Rabbit in GI Stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna.bun

Reaction score
I joined a random forum because I’m so desperate. My rabbit has been laying his belly down and last night he stopped pooping/eating/drinking. We’ve called every vet and hospital in town and they are either closed or dont see rabbits. I’ve been syringe feeding her water today and I tried the gas drops last night. I don’t know what to do. Is this life threatening? Can she die? I cant get her to eat her hay or greens.

When is the last time there was poop, even smaller poos?
How many doses of the gas drops? They can be fed every hour for several doses.
How far along the GI issues have progressed will determine whether or not the normal first go-to's will work.

Normal first go-to's are gentle massage and baby gas drops. The dosage:
  • 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.
Here is a more thorough description of causes, treatments, etc. And yes, it can lead to death. The longer it goes untreated, the less chance of recovery.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
Force feeding should not be done unless a vet has determined that there is no actual blockage. If there is a full blockage, then adding more food will just make things worse.

Oh, I just now see you are in CA. For sure there are vets that can prescribe a gut motility medicine, hydration, pain meds, etc.

I'll see what vets may be available. That should be your priority.

When is the last time there was poop, even smaller poos?
How many doses of the gas drops? They can be fed every hour for several doses.
How far along the GI issues have progressed will determine whether or not the normal first go-to's will work.

Normal first go-to's are gentle massage and baby gas drops. The dosage:
  • 1-2 cc (20mg/ml suspension) can be given as often as every hour for three doses, then 1 cc every three to eight hours.
Here is a more thorough description of causes, treatments, etc. And yes, it can lead to death. The longer it goes untreated, the less chance of recovery.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html
Force feeding should not be done unless a vet has determined that there is no actual blockage. If there is a full blockage, then adding more food will just make things worse.

Oh, I just now see you are in CA. For sure there are vets that can prescribe a gut motility medicine, hydration, pain meds, etc.

I'll see what vets may be available. That should be your priority.
The last time I saw poop was yesterday, I’ve removed all poop and gave new hay so I’ll notice when she goes again. I gave .5ml doses every hour for 2 hours. We called every vet and emergency hospital within a 2 hour radius and the soonest appt I can get is Thursday. I heard a bubbly stomach a couple days ago, but didn’t know it was cause for concern until yesterday when she didnt drink any water and layed in a corner all day. We’re planning on buying oxbow critical care protein so should I not give her that? It’s okay to still syringe feed her water right?

Here are more that are in the area:
Glendale and San Fernando Valley
Dr. Charles Misetich
VCA Arden Animal Hospital
407 W Arden Blvd
Glendale, CA 91203
818-246-2478

Dr. Daniel Reimer
All Pets Medical Center
7606 Fallbrook Avenue
West Hills, CA 91304
818-883-2600

Dr. Janet Berens
West Valley Pet Clinic
22430 Ventura Blvd
Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(818) 225-7160

Dr. Brad Capper
Agoura Animal Clinic
28282 Dorothy
Agoura Hills, CA 91301
818-991-1036

Dr. Anne Dueppen
Conejo Valley Veterinary Hospital
3580 Willow Ln.
Thousand Oaks, CA 91361
805-495-4671

I wouldn't syringe feed her Critical Care until a blockage has been ruled out by a vet. In order for that to happen, you would need an x-ray. Yes, you can syringe her water, it will really help her. See if you can get her to eat a tiny bit of apple, it will help with constipation. Keep trying to get her to eat hay! See if there are any walk-in vets near you that you can take her too. I would also try to find a farm animal vet. I recently found a farm animal vet for Theo and they are the best!

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry you are having to join because of these circumstances.

Let us know how she does.
update : im a teen so it took lots of convincing to convince my family to drive to an out of town vet. we called all the clinics on the list and the only one that could see us was conejo valley, they suggested keeping him here but because of work and school and how far we came out we can’t do that. theyre sending me home with medicines to give him. lets hope he makes a full recovery. this has been a very emotional day. thank you so much for the help.

Latest posts

Back