Rabbit In-breed Effects

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
This was a total accident.

Two years ago, two of my sibling bunnies bred together. I had no idea who was what at the time.

I've read that in-bred rabbits tend to have a weaker immune system than regular rabbits. That's all I could find on in-breeding effects.

This past year, I noticed the baby's foot was crooked. The only time I see it is when she sits because it's sticks out a bit. At first I thought it was broken but I guess not.

She functions normally. Now, I'm thinking this is a physical defect caused by the in-breeding?

What do you think?

I don't think it is caused by inbreeding. It takes generations of inbreeding to see effects sometimes and usually I think they would affect the heart or some other condition versus a crooked foot. I suspect the rabbit hurt it sometime as a baby - like getting it caught in the wires of the cage (if it is a wire cage).

It may have been broken at one time, or it could simply be cowhocks. Cowhocks does happen in inbred and poorly bred non-inbred rabbits. I once had two totally unrelated rabbits produce one kit that was born with a deformed front foot. It literally bent out at the wrist joint. He was perfectly functional though.

Inbred problems with rabbits aren't nearly as prone to inbreeding defects as most other species. I'd guess that they evolved some sort of inbreeding stabilization since they do often inbreed in the wild.

Inbred rabbits that are purebred DO often have more defects, particularly in health and longevity, but crossbreds are usually ok.

Hmm. Interesting responses so thank you. Her foot is just weirdly crooked but fully functional. Ever since I noticed it back in the winter, I've been keeping an eye on it regularly.

Yes I believe it is a result of in breeding, I had this exact same thing happen before and several of the kits had a foot issue, so yes it probably is due to in breeding.

Katmais_mommy wrote:
This was a total accident.

Two years ago, two of my sibling bunnies bred together. I had no idea who was what at the time.

I've read that in-bred rabbits tend to have a weaker immune system than regular rabbits. That's all I could find on in-breeding effects.

This past year, I noticed the baby's foot was crooked. The only time I see it is when she sits because it's sticks out a bit. At first I thought it was broken but I guess not.

She functions normally. Now, I'm thinking this is a physical defect caused by the in-breeding?

What do you think?

Latest posts

Back