Rabbit Heimlich maneuver?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting this Claire. Now I know what to do if any of bunnies choke. I've read about it a few times on RO, and it sounds scary.

Thanks!!

tonyshuman wrote:
Found this article by Dana Krempels:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/pet-rabbit-gagging-Rabbit.htm

It sounds a bit strange. Has anyone heard of this before? Had to do it?

I remember jameswaller posting about the rabbit Heimlich maneuver before, so I'm hoping at least a few of us have heard of it.
thank you claire,,no matter how much training we have,,nothing is like the real thing,,reaction time is very important--i was tested many years ago,,but not with a human-a rabbit,,i had only read about rabbit cpr,,all i can say is you will do anything,,any technic,,as long as you can,,to try and save the little guy--in my case i failed and still am affected-years later,,thank you for the good mention on the thread,,sincerely james waller:pink iris:

Hi. I just read this the other day on the internet (but at the time of Red choking I was not aware of it. My fiance did press on its abdomen to expel the air and therefore the food that got stuck. He also scooped out the food with his finger making sure that he does not push it further into the rabbit's throat). I just did not know what to do and I dont think I would have been successful if he was not at home! I read about this and tried to remember as much as I could but I am hoping to never have to use it!

I think the scooping would help a lot--just like you're supposed to do for a person who you're giving CPR to. I actually found this article looking for info to help with Red. ;) It's something that I'm glad I know just in case.

Yeah the scooping saved his life - Rob did it I think 3 times until all was clear. I guess if the food went too far down there would be no way to get it out so we were also lucky. Red already was going into convulsions and I was going to leave the room I just did not want to see it. In 1 minute after he started breathing he went back to his cage to eat the rest of his pellets (I did not allow it - as can be expected :)!!) This rabbit has a short memory about what just happened to it, guess it was just being a rabbit.:?

Victoria wrote:
Yeah the scooping saved his life - Rob did it I think 3 times until all was clear. I guess if the food went too far down there would be no way to get it out so we were also lucky. Red already was going into convulsions and I was going to leave the room I just did not want to see it. In 1 minute after he started breathing he went back to his cage to eat the rest of his pellets (I did not allow it - as can be expected :)!!) This rabbit has a short memory about what just happened to it, guess it was just being a rabbit.:?
:pinkelepht:fantastic save,,takes someone brave to clear the air way--time is of the escence--gotta do what you gotta do...,sincerely james waller,,,hi,victoria did find the thread on myxi....i asked flashy to pm the thread to you...:pink iris:

Latest posts

Back