rabbit has diarrhea please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martini

Reaction score
I have had my bunny for about 1month. She came from a petshop. Friday she was fine and saturday she was fine but sunday i went to clean her cage and give her fresh food and water, I seen she had diarrhea. Theres not any balls of poop any where. Yesterday she was playin. today she is grinding her teeth. she drinks so i guess thats a good sign. I need help if anyone can help. Ilost my job so I dont have any money to take her to the vet. Please help me give me any advice you can. I dont want to lose her!!:(:(:(:(:(:(

She may have entertoxemia which is very serious or a parasite (coccidia). or possibly something that you fed her . Put her on plain hay and water..pull the other foods for now. get some benebac ( natural microoorganisms found in a rabbit gut) from Petco and simethicone (GasX or mylicon infant drops with only simethicone in it)from the drugstore or walmart etc and give her 1 cc at a time repeating doses every hour
x3. Chances are if she is not seen by a vet that you will lose her , you can try to give her pedialyte with a syringe but she needs subqutaneous fluids
If she is grinding her teeth she is in pain and you really cannot let that go. possibly the vet will alllow a payment plan over time..
in the meantime hydrate her with oral pedialyte

butI strongly suggest some method of working out a vet visit ASAP

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11935&forum_id=10

Hi, unfortunately one of those "emergencies you must take your rabbit to the vet ASAP for" is baby bunny with diarrhea. I am assuming she is under a year old?

Young bunnies are susceptible to imbalances in the gut microorganisms, leading to enterotoxemia or coccidia. Coccidia needs to be treated with a particular drug that only vets have. The bacteria that cause enterotoxemia basically pour toxins into the bunny's system, which can cause the body to literally shut down, so she needs a vet to treat that as well.

If you go to a vet, and I really hope you do, make sure to bring a sample of the feces.

If you decide you still cannot go to a vet, take out all other foods except hay and water. Get some pedialyte and syringe it to her--about 20 mL should be good to start. Get some Bene-Bac (from Petco or Petsmart, etc), and give her 1 gram. Also, give simethicone (mylicon) 1mL/hr for the first hour. This is just a repetition of what angieluv said, but I wanted to drive the point home.

If you can't afford to go to the vet, ask if they will take Care Credit, which is a credit card for vet care--not the best solution, but it is a temporary solution at least. Another option is IMOM http://www.imom.org/fa/

Finally, if you can't afford any of these things, consider taking her to the local humane society. They may be able to treat her cheaply and give her back to you, or they may not be able to give her back. You will have to ask. However, with something as serious as diarrhea in a young rabbit, it may be worth it to save her life.

Went to take her to the humane soc. to see what they can do and i looked in the cage i seen that she makin poops now. She is drinking alot. Gave her Pedialyte and she is drinking it. Took her out of her cage and she tried to eat hay. I guess she has to be eating something if she is making poops. They look grassey. She is realy skinny. Is there any kind of food to give her to fatten her up that is healthy? Also I was giving her rasins and papaya. Its rabbit treats from the store. Could that have caused it. I had gave her 2 or 3 a day for maybe 3 or 4 days.

Don't give her raisins - much too sweet and her system is obviously in a precarious state.
Old-fashioned rolled oats (Quaker Oats)are something I give my rabbits as a treat - it can help put some weight on her and improves the coat (not too much, depending on her size maybe a teaspoon to start - watch her poops closely, if they start getting mushy don't feed her oats for a few days).
I've also heard canned pumpkin is good for helping their system when it's in turmoil - other on here have used it, but so far I haven't had to.

If she's under 8mos. then she can still be eating alfalfa pellets and some of the alfalfa hay mixed in with the Timothy - alfalfa is richer, thus more 'fattening'.

If she's pooping near normal, that's good.
Grassy appearance of poops is okay, too. She may need to rehydrate after having the runs.

IMO...keep her on a good quality hay...alfalfa if she's under 6 months....timothy if she's older than that.

And pellets. Is she getting pellets? That's the only thing else I would give her until you're sure she's stabilized.

No treats/fruits/veggies/etc. for a bit. Maybe introduce them a little at a time later on.

Thanks guys. I gave her the rasins before she got sick. I was thinking that might have made her sick. I heard her teeth grinding around 12 but she has not did much of that sence. She is also moving around more in her cage.She still will not play at all. Smells her toys and walks away.I hope she is getting better.

She has pellets dont think she is eating them. She also has timothy hay. Ill get her some alfalfa hay. Didnt know she could have alfalfa hay. Thanks!!

I think the papaya and raisins could have caused the GI upset. I hope she starts eating the pellets. Alfalfa hay should help.

Don't give her any of the fruit treats at all. ( could have brought this on)personallyI would stick with mainly timothy and/or grass hay with some alfalfa
There was a similar post recently re. a very starved rabbit. I will try to find it as Randy was explicit in describing the proper way to start refeeding. it would be a good idea to do the same treatment for diarrhea
it would be great if you can get bene-bac from Petco or Petsmart as it may help reestablish normal gut flora (I probably already told you this.)

keep the diet simple and giving the pedialyte is great ; this is very good for her.

Just feed mainly hay until you re sure there is not further diarrhea and then reestablish some pellets.

I'm going to look for the other post now,

Randy's post referred to how to start feeding a bunny that had been starved.; he said that you have to go very slow in feeding and not overfeed. hydration is very important.
When a rabbit starts to stabilize after a bout of diarrhea you want to introduce food slowly and watch the output. Different kinds of hay are not likely toprovoke diarrhea

I would guess it was the fruit that did it andI hope that's what it was because you have control over that.

Im tring to find the bene-bac. I looked at petsmart they only have the powder for birds and reptiles. I dont have a petco close to me. Where else could I get it and is it for rabbits?

PetsMart has Bene Bac paste in the cat section....in tubes called "one shots". If you have a farm supply....the same probiotic used in horses (Probios or something similar) can be used. In a pinch, use non-dairy acidophilus from a health food store. DO NOT use yogurt. The idea is to acidify the gut to stabilize the pH at 1-2...that is proper climate for beneficial bacteria to repopulate. Keep the food basic.....mostly hay and some pellets along with ample hydration. Keep it simple....abasic rabbit diet.

Randy

If you can't find the rabbit/dog/cat one or ProBios, the avian/reptile Bene-Bac is very very similar and should be sufficient. Like Randy said, you can also use human acidophillus powder or capsules (break open the capsules and sprinkle on food).

:tears2: im taken her to the humane soc. now she have the runs bad again. She has her hewad hung down. I have to take her. Im going to miss her. She was soo playful and sweet. I called them and they said they couldnt give her back to me. Maybe I can have some one go and adopt her for me.I dont know. :tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2::tears2:

I'm sorry you have to surrender her, but rest assured it's the right thing to do. I will keep you both in my thoughts. It's probably best that you not have anyone go adopt her for you since you cannot afford any kind of vet care at the moment.

Latest posts

Back