Rabbit Harness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnoliaDee

Reaction score
I have a cat harness that I use for Lego. It's just thin straps that go one around her neck (accentuating her dewlap :p ) and one around her mid-section. However, as she walks it seems to fall to one side or the other, instead of staying on straight. I like to keep the lead on and just let it trail behind her, but as it, it goes between her feet, and she steps on it while trying to hop.

So I'm wondering if anyone has found one they really like? One that will stay in place?

Thanks,

Sandra

Great question! I'm also looking forward to taking Jake outside sometime, but probably can't really look at getting a harness until he's fully grown. Looking forward to getting good harness tips!

I would avoid the figure 8 ones as they can choke the rabbit because it is all one piece.
Vest ones are OK, but can be a pain to get on and to get it tight enough.
The H ones (like the one you have) are generally considered the best. You may not have it tight enough. You should only have enough room for 2 fingers between the rabbit and the harness. Some rabbits have a lot of fur with can make it look tight when it is not.
You could try this type of harness. It can be hard to get over the head, but should work.

I like this one... it stays in place and you have full control of the rabbit if you have to grab them up fast

IMG_0888.jpg

Thanks... I actually have that one, and used it with Jacub. I *think* it's a bit big for Leggy, but will have to check to be sure. Maybe I can buy a smaller one on-line... our petsmart only sells the large.

Thanks for reminding me of it!

I would never use a harness on a rabbit. Due to their unique physical design, it can result in traumatic injuries. A rabbit's skeletal system compromises only about 7% or so of it's body mass (a cat is about 14% if I remember correctly). And a rabbit has very strong muscles in the rear legs. If they become spooked and start to kick those back legs unopposed.....like if they are trying to get away from a perceived threat.....those strong muscles can cause a fracture in the spine....usually near L7 in the trans-lumbar region. That will result in paralysis. I know people do use these things successfully but you never know what a rabbit might perceived as a threat. I have never used a harness and never will. When my rabbits go out like that, it is in an enclosed baby stroller.

Randy

Thanks Randy for your thoughts. I don't actually hold the lead... just let it drag. And then when I go to pick up Lego I usually just pick her up. But sometimes she thinks she's not ready to come in and then that's when the harness and lead come in handy. My back yard is completely fenced and gated (and lockable), so I can control who comes and who goes.

So do I understand this correctly... you stroll your bunnies around the neighbourhood... how cute :inlove:

Thanks Cheyanne... Beggy (nickname) is just over 3 lbs... so I'm thinking I'll want a small!!!

With the harness falling to one side, something I did that helped a little was I used a hack saw to remove the entire metal clip thing from the leash and replaced it with a key ring. Wire cutters would probably work too.

Pancake is 4.5 lbs and the mesh harness from petsmart was too small. The H kind seems to work well as long as I make it tight enough but she hates having it put on. :(

Latest posts

Back