Rabbit got a hold of my cats food.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyLouie

Reaction score
About a few hours ago when I gave my rabbit his pellets he was somehow able to be beside my cats bowl and I’m not sure if he ate some cat food.. he also snuck a piece in the morning too. Should I be worried? This isn’t his first time. He always somehow gets a piece. I have sisters that open the bowl for my cat and it’s really difficult to keep track. I try to put the bowl on top of the table or somewhere high so he has no access to it but somehow it always ends up going bad. If anything I feel like he would have ate like 1-3 pieces? He’s a young one so idk if this is even worse for him. He’s 4 months and 3 weeks. He has water and unlimited hay in his cage at night so I’m hoping he’s able to pass it on in his stomach.. any thoughts? I was doing some research and people just said that he’ll be fine as long as he didn’t eat CRAZY amounts to the point where the amount of cat food decreases. The food might even cause redness in the pee? People say their rabbits snuck some too every once in a while and they were fine. Is this true and should I just stop worrying?

Unless he has a really sensitive gut with ongoing or repeated digestive issues, a couple of pieces isn't likely to cause any problems. If he eats lots of hay, that will also help keep his gut balanced even with a nibble of cat food.

Unless he has a really sensitive gut with ongoing or repeated digestive issues, a couple of pieces isn't likely to cause any problems. If he eats lots of hay, that will also help keep his gut balanced even with a nibble of cat food.
Same problem again. Left for about half an hour asked my parents and sisters to watch him and they couldn’t even do that. I had to work on some hw and when I came back they were checking him because apparently he was near the cat food. So annoyed. I always have to be watching him no one ever helps me. Just stresses me out even more. Not sure how much he consumed but I hope it was a few nibbles. If he ate some today and yesterday what will happen? He recovered super well after yesterday.. just don’t know what will happen tmr. Hoping for the best. He has water and unlimited hay.

Hi..
Is there any way that the cat can be fed in another room, or somewhere your rabbit cannot access?
Just putting this out there : although your cat and rabbit are fine now, at the end of the day your cat is still a dominant predator here, and stealing food might cause some irritation. We would not want a situation whereby the cat understandably gets upset and scratches at the rabbit. Is he okay after eating cat food again?

Hi..
Is there any way that the cat can be fed in another room, or somewhere your rabbit cannot access?
Just putting this out there : although your cat and rabbit are fine now, at the end of the day your cat is still a dominant predator here, and stealing food might cause some irritation. We would not want a situation whereby the cat understandably gets upset and scratches at the rabbit. Is he okay after eating cat food again?
I’ve tried to do that but it’s my sisters cat and she doesn’t like it when I ask her to do things for her cat or when I try to make changes. She thinks I’m tryna make Louie more important or something but it’s just a matter of trying to make the house more safer for him. I’ll see what I can do today. He’s recovered well. Poops are golden, he drank water, he ate hay so that’s good. I’m just hoping it doesn’t happen again. Her cat occasionally throws some claws at him but I always discipline her and I know it’s just their instinct but she’s really grumpy with everyone so yeah. I’ll see what I can do!

I'm glad you do what you can to help the situation, but I think in this case it is wise to separate them completely. You might need to limit the rabbit space and let him out only when you supervise.
I also think your rabbit is getting too used to eating cat food.. Rabbits enjoy routine, and this will soon become one. Regarding the scratching.. Its good to discipline the cat but as you said, this is a natural instinct for them. You don't want to risk a situation where the cat scratches too deep when you are not around. The rabbit could bleed and it may or may not become infected.

I cannot tell you what to do.. This is just advice.
All the best ❤

Latest posts

Back