Rabbit gaining weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mckynna_M

Reaction score
I’m noticed that one of my bunnies has been gaining weight Ofer the last few weeks. She has put on quite a belly and started taking food from her sister, but now she is starting to nest in her cage after I separated them. Could she be pregnant or just overweight?

Attachments

• 31C75AF4-9CE0-4F02-BD5F-048B6D99877B.jpeg
    31C75AF4-9CE0-4F02-BD5F-048B6D99877B.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 6
Has she been around a male rabbit? Normally female rabbits eat more food when pregnant.

If you could be mistaken about their sexes and her 'sister' is actually her brother, then yes, she could be pregnant and due soon. In which case, they need to continue to be kept separate, and make sure to provide her with a very big pile of hay and a suitably sized nesting box for her to build her nest in.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

I got two rabbits at the same time from the same pet store. I was told they were both female and haven’t seen any meeting between them, but I actually just felt movement inside her belly and am looking into how to take care of kits. I’ve only had them a month, so either she was pregnant when I got her or the other was actually male.

I agree with JBun, the sister is probably a male. Pet Stores normally get genders mixed up when it comes to rabbits. Since you felt movement that probably means that she is pregnant. Please separate the rabbits, and give the possibly pregnant rabbit a nesting box. (link removed by moderator for safety purposes)

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND, OR POST LINKS EXPLAINING HOW TO PALPATE TO CHECK FOR PREGNANCY FOR THOSE INEXPERIENCED DOING SO! Someone inexperienced palpating a doe at 2 weeks pregnant, runs the risk of the person doing it improperly and actually harming the unborn babies. Just prior to giving birth when the fetus' are fully developed is different, but even then needs to be done gently and with caution, if at all. Usually you can just look and visibly see movement.

@Mckynna_M It's not unusual for baby rabbits to be missexed as it can be difficult to determine sometimes until they are fully matured. So your other bun could certainly be a male if you haven't checked their sexes to make sure of this already. This is how to check and determine a rabbits sex.
https://www.rabbitnetwork.org/educa...rabbit-care-articles/how-to-sex-your-rabbits/
The link I provided in my post above, gives good info and tips on what to expect and and do for expectant rabbit moms.

I got separate cages a week ago when I started noticing belvederes attitude change toward Burnaby. I thought she was only getting bigger because she was taking Burnabys food. Guess I was wrong. I’m just trying to learn as much about the process as I can now. Thank you

Thank you for the link! I’m searching as much as I can to prepare for kittens sense I do believe she is pregnant. I appreciate all your advice!

PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND, OR POST LINKS EXPLAINING HOW TO PALPATE TO CHECK FOR PREGNANCY FOR THOSE INEXPERIENCED DOING SO! Someone inexperienced palpating a doe at 2 weeks pregnant, runs the risk of the person doing it improperly and actually harming the unborn babies. Just prior to giving birth when the fetus' are fully developed is different, but even then needs to be done gently and with caution, if at all. Usually you can just look and visibly see movement.
I'm so sorry! I didn't see where it said how to palpitate. I would not have sent that link if I had known it was in there. I only sent that link because I knew it was helpful when it comes to fixing a nesting box, taking care of the babies, etc. Thank you for removing the link from my post! 😊

She looks pretty skinny to me - and very pregnant. I can tell when looking at them from behind when they run, a fat rabbit moves more like a maggot, a pregnant one like she swallowed a melon. Feed her well, when she's nursing you can pretty much free feed her, at least tripple her pellets, and maybe supplement with oatmeal and Black sunflower seeds.

Right now, lots of hay, a nestbox and some privacy, as little stress as possible.
I don't palpate because it wouldn't be conclusive for me if it isn't obvious anyway already, and I avoid stressing them.

I'm so sorry! I didn't see where it said how to palpitate. I would not have sent that link if I had known it was in there. I only sent that link because I knew it was helpful when it comes to fixing a nesting box, taking care of the babies, etc. Thank you for removing the link from my post! 😊
That's understandable. It's just one of those potentially harmful things for rabbits, that we don't want inexperienced readers thinking is safe and ok to do.

As JBun said, her 'sister' could be her brother! You should check her sister out and try to find out her gender to prevent future accidents!

Latest posts

Back