Rabbit fur genetics - do rex, satin and lionhead combine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curiouss

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have combed through the internet, and have found very little information on the properties of rabbits with multiple recessive fur quality traits. Results I found include posts on why mixing a satin rabbit with rex results in a normal fur for all of the offspring, and I well understand that the three traits of rex, satin and normal fur length are controlled by separate genes.

What I'd like to know is if satin + rex combination fur is possible, (will one offset the other? Will a rabbit with genotype ss rr only show one trait or are they possibly defective in someway? Why is that?) and if the two properties can coexist, why is it not done/not a popular breed?

Apart from the satin and rex traits, I'd also like to hear thoughts on lionhead + satin fur, as I know satin angoras exist and I'm a bit confused on why satin lionheads are not bred. So, if someone knows the actual reason behind this, please share.

I'm not currently planning on breeding rabbits, just purely interested on if the reason is related to the genetics (aka these properties cannot coexist) or if no breeder has taken the interest to combine these qualities.

I'd really appreciate it if someone has the answers to my questions.

You can mix all the fur types. Satin rex is fairly common. It just makes a shiny rex. There are some people that have considered making satin rex a breed over the years, but it never really gotten enough of a following to go anywhere. It's hard to get good rex fur even without adding satin into it. Satin rex is a breed under BRC standards, but not ARBA. Angora and rex is something that, in my opinion, should not be done. Rex shortens the guard hairs and adds a bit of curl to the coat. Everybody that I had heard from that had angora+ rex said that the rabbits had coats that were very difficult to maintain and prone to matting. Lionheads are very very difficult to get some consistency. They've only been considered a breed in the US for less than ten years. The mane gene itself has only been around for a few decades while the wool gene has been around for a few centuries. With no many pet breeders, the quality of lionheads varies wildly. Adding satin or rex would only make that variance even worse. In my opinion, people need to work on improving lionheads because they try to add other fur type genes into the mix.

Satin rex:
1654751051529.png

Satin lionhead:
1654751069274.png

I have two plush lop babies which is a mix of both Rex and Lop bunnies, they just look like lops but with Rex fur, absolutely stunning

Attachments

• AirBrush_20220622170830.jpg
    AirBrush_20220622170830.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AirBrush_20220622170830.jpg
    AirBrush_20220622170830.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AirBrush_20220622171631.jpg
    AirBrush_20220622171631.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back