Rabbit Food Help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muffy

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my new rabbit on saturday and I need some help with what food to get. I had rabbits years ago when I was a kid, but I don't remember what we fed them. I've been thinking about getting another rabbit for awhile now, and when I saw some for sale at the fair I ended up getting one. She is a white mini lop. I'll have to get pictures up soon. The girl selling them showed a lot of her rabbits.She was maybe only 8 years old,so shedidn't really tell me much. She did give me some food to help switch over, but I don'tknow whatbrand the food is. I went to the local feed store and askedto buy some rabbit foodand they gave me Famo Feeds Bunny Bits. Has anyone heard of this? Or know if it isany good? I didn't open the bag yet because I want tomake sure it's a good qualityfood beforeI use it. I'll type up all the info that's on the bag.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein: (min) 16.0%
Crude Fat: (min) 2.5%
Crude Fiber: (min) 14.0% (max) 16.8%
Calcium: (min) 0.75% (max) 1.25%
Phosphorus: (min) 0.6%
Salt: (min) 0.5% (max) 1.0%
Vitamin A: (min) 12,000 IU/lb

Ingredient Statement:
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Corn, Soybean Hulls, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Yucca schidigera extract, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Biotin Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate.

Feeding Directions:
Bunny Bits are designed to be fed to all classes of rabbits. They should be fed as a complete feed to growing and fattening stock and to nursing does to supply the energy these rabbits require for good performance. Resting does may be fed about one-third hay to two-thirds Bunny Bits and pregnant does about one-fourth hay to three-fourths Bunny Bits. Use only bright, clean hay free from dust and molds. Provide plenty of fresh, clean water at all times and keep surroundings free from dirt and parasites.

If you don't think this is a quality food then please let me know what foods are good, and where I could get them. I live in Wisconsin if that helps.
Thanks!!

Hi! Congrats on your new bunny! Is there any chance you could call the girl and ask what brand she feeds? Did you get her contact info, or no?

The brand you bought really doesn't have much fiber at all. It should have 18%, preferably more. Call around at other feed stores and see what brands they carry. Purina Rabbit Chow is really common in WI and has decent fiber. If you can find it, Purina Complete Plus has more fiber and would probably be better. There are a bunch of other good brands too, I just know Purina is common here.

Or go to a pet store and get Oxbow 15/23, which is their alfalfa formula. It's more expensive but I really like the company. I feed their timothy pellets to my adults. It can be hard to find, but their website has a store locator:
http://www.oxbowhay.com/index.sp

Also make sure to feed lots of grass hay, no matter which pellet you choose.

The feeding directions are not so good. Rabbits of any age should have unlimited hay. Babies (under 6 months) shoud have unlimited pellets and alfalfa hay.

the food dosent look good either. It dosnet have enough fiber and it have corn, which is bad for rabbits. When looking for a good food, it should have timothy hay as the first ingredent and no corn. 14% protien for adults and 18% or higher fiber for adults.

Without knowing what the bun has been getting, it's a roll of the dice at best. It may take a few tries to find a feed that agrees with her.

It would be easier if you knew if the feed was alfalfa or timothy based.....and her age.

A switch may present problems. A switch to timothy might give you lessproblems, but an older bun may need the alfalfa. She may also turn her nose up at timothy if she's been getting the sweeter alfalfa. And a younger bun needs the alfalfa.

Purina (alfalfa based) is a good choice...
Crude Protein, not less than
16.0%

Crude Fat, not less than
1.5%

Crude Fiber, not less than
17.0%

Crude Fiber, not more than
20.0%

or

Depending on what the bun has been fed, I might go with either

Kaytee Timothy Complete
Crude Protein (min.)...............13.0%
Crude Fat (min.)......................1.5%
Crude Fiber (min.)..................18.0%
Crude Fiber (max.).................23.0%

or

Kaytee Supreme (alfalfa based).
Crude Protein (min)..........16.0%
Crude Fat (min).................2.0%
Crude Fiber (min).............15.0%
Crude Fiber (max)............18.0%

IMO ...I'd start with a timothy based pellet and see how it goes for a bit. Make sure you make the change gradually, mixing the old feed with the new a little at a time and increasing over a week or two.

Latest posts

Back