Rabbit Food for Adult?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icrewtoo

Reaction score
I recently ran out of my rabbit's food, Kaytee Supreme Daily Blend - NON fortified. When I went to go buy more at the pet store they didn't have any. None of the pet stores seem to be carrying anything but the fortified kind.

After purchasing the fortified and giving it to my bunny, an adult male, he turned his nose up at it. Unfortunately, I didn't have any old food to mix with the new. He's starting to eat a little bit of it, but is still not eating much. In the meantime he's been eating his hay, some carrots and water.

So here's the question(s)- did Kaytee stop making the non-fortified daily blend (I can't seem to get an answer)? And does anyone know a good replacement? Specifically, does anyone know if Kaytee Complete is a good alternative for an adult - the package says it has more timothy hay in the pellets, so I would assume that would be good? Will he ever just get used to the fortified, or I am doomed to have a picky eater?

dunno if they stopped making it?? I would try to offer it for a little while. some bunnies are picky but he might come around and start eating more. maybe try another brand? my guys love oxbow! good luck!!!

The Kaytee Complete has lower protein (14%) than the Supreme (16%). The lower protein is actually better if your rabbit is a fixed house rabbit. However the Complete has junk mixed in (colorful bits).

It's important to transition before changing foods. It's not at all unusual for a bunny not to like a sudden change. That (and the potential for tummy upset) is the reason food changes need to be done slowly. Be sure he's getting plenty of hay in the meantime (refreshed often to encourage more eating) so that he won't slip toward stasis.

Go easy on the carrots. He shouldn't get more than a tablespoons worth per day.

I also like the Oxbow Essentials for adults. So that might be an alternative food.

Latest posts

Back