Rabbit Fertilizer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just dump all my trays into the manure pile, then it gets spread on the fields. I have a black thumb, so no flowers or pretty shrubs to use it on.

I am going to start making a separate pile for the bunny manure. Then, after it's composted for a while (to kill off any hay seeds/weeds that may be mixed with it) we're going to bag it and sell it. At least that's the plan. lol

Does anyone know if vermicomposting (spelling?) aka worm-composting will help break down the poop/pee/pellet litter/hay? I am using the stuff I get now for my plants outside and some inside, but come winter I would really like to start composting my remaining veggies the rabbits won't eat and as much of their waste as I can. I just don't know how the worms will deal with it.

ahh I'm so excited that there's plenty of others out there who don't think composting/using rabbit poo as fertilizer is gross!

Oh my! Worms LOVE rabbit poop. Many people that raise rabbits use worms to break down the waste material. And we all know how wonderful worm "casings" are in a garden! If you're going to raise "red wrigglers", the worm most people use, you will have to make sure you have enough manure to "feed" them and keep them warm. The issue with doing this during the winter is keeping the worms from freezing. (Depending on where you are located and how cold it gets by you.)

Here are a couple of websites with info on raising earthworms:
http://homeschool.priswell.com/worms.htm
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1972-05-01/Grow-It-Earthworms.aspx

I just started to compost bunny poo with worms and they love it! Granted the rabbits look at me like "where are you going with my poo?" I bring back the litter box empty and clean. I'm about ready to harvest my first batch and it only took 2 weeks for them to compost a tray full of poo and scraps. I use the horse stall bedding, dumped it streight from the box. The rest that the worms aren't using I put on the garden.

BlueGiants wrote:
I got over 45 lbs of peached off my little "dwarf" peach tree last August. That made a lot of peach pies and Peach jam! All fertilized with Rabbit poop... and my Fig tree loves it too.

I don't compost it at all... it goes directly around the trees, bushes and plants. I do rototill it into the soil of my vegetable garden before I plant. And then I add more on top as the tomatoes, eggplants, squash and peppers mature. The shavings helped keep the soil moist last year, inspite of the fact that we has a VERY dry summer.

And I agree, I wouldn't use the manure if it comes from an animal that is being treated with antibiotics.

45lbs! WHOA!

We got like8 maybe 10 peaches max.. tiny little things too, but sweet as could be!

Thank you! I'll surely forward this info on to my mom :)

Latest posts

Back