Rabbit Fertilizer

Discussion in 'General Rabbit Discussion' started by funnybunnymummy, Mar 4, 2010.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating:

1. Jul 9, 2012 #21

wendymac

wendymac

wendymac

I just dump all my trays into the manure pile, then it gets spread on the fields. I have a black thumb, so no flowers or pretty shrubs to use it on.

I am going to start making a separate pile for the bunny manure. Then, after it's composted for a while (to kill off any hay seeds/weeds that may be mixed with it) we're going to bag it and sell it. At least that's the plan. lol

2. Jul 9, 2012 #22

kagerod

kagerod

kagerod

Does anyone know if vermicomposting (spelling?) aka worm-composting will help break down the poop/pee/pellet litter/hay? I am using the stuff I get now for my plants outside and some inside, but come winter I would really like to start composting my remaining veggies the rabbits won't eat and as much of their waste as I can. I just don't know how the worms will deal with it.

ahh I'm so excited that there's plenty of others out there who don't think composting/using rabbit poo as fertilizer is gross!

3. Jul 9, 2012 #23

BlueGiants

BlueGiants

BlueGiants

Oh my! Worms LOVE rabbit poop. Many people that raise rabbits use worms to break down the waste material. And we all know how wonderful worm "casings" are in a garden! If you're going to raise "red wrigglers", the worm most people use, you will have to make sure you have enough manure to "feed" them and keep them warm. The issue with doing this during the winter is keeping the worms from freezing. (Depending on where you are located and how cold it gets by you.)

Here are a couple of websites with info on raising earthworms:
    http://homeschool.priswell.com/worms.htm
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1972-05-01/Grow-It-Earthworms.aspx

4. Jul 9, 2012 #24

MiniLopHop

MiniLopHop

MiniLopHop

I just started to compost bunny poo with worms and they love it! Granted the rabbits look at me like "where are you going with my poo?" I bring back the litter box empty and clean. I'm about ready to harvest my first batch and it only took 2 weeks for them to compost a tray full of poo and scraps. I use the horse stall bedding, dumped it streight from the box. The rest that the worms aren't using I put on the garden.

5. Jul 9, 2012 #25

MyBabyHasPaws

MyBabyHasPaws

MyBabyHasPaws

BlueGiants wrote:
    45lbs! WHOA!

We got like8 maybe 10 peaches max.. tiny little things too, but sweet as could be!

Thank you! I'll surely forward this info on to my mom :)

6. Jul 11, 2012 #26

1357rabbitlover

1357rabbitlover

1357rabbitlover

Can you use the straw and paper too or do you have to take it out?

Draft saved Draft deleted