Rabbit eye looks infected

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do I fix this?

• Salt water wash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Betadine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antibiotics

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Shontelle

Reaction score
My Netherland dwarf has had a yucky eye for a couple of days now. I washed it out yesterday with salty water but it has returned today. I washed it out at about 9;30 this morning only to see at 1;00 that it has returned pretty bad. His eye looks squinty and im not sure what to do. my initial thought was that something has gotten into it because it has happened similarly before however goes away when I wash it. my other thought was that I have a free range make bunny which does squirt his wee around sometimes and a bit of that may have gone in his eye. however it is pretty bad and unsure what to do. im also not sure if I can just dab betadine on his eye . IMG_5882.JPGIMG_5883.JPGIMG_5888.JPGIMG_5882.JPGIMG_5883.JPGIMG_5888.JPGIMG_5882.JPGIMG_5883.JPGIMG_5888.JPG

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    372.9 KB · Views: 4
You need to take him to a Rabbit Savvy vet if flushing the eye has not worked. Eye problems can be anything from a foreign body, infection, or tooth problem. Eyes should not be screwes with at home as it doesnt take much to cause vision loss. Please take him to a vet.

You need to take him to a Rabbit Savvy vet if flushing the eye has not worked. Eye problems can be anything from a foreign body, infection, or tooth problem. Eyes should not be screwes with at home as it doesnt take much to cause vision loss. Please take him to a vet.
I was told to use terramycin, what about that

Because he is outside, he could have anything from runny eyes to a irritation. You should still take him to the vet. He is a very pretty rabbit though!

Because he is outside, he could have anything from runny eyes to a irritation. You should still take him to the vet. He is a very pretty rabbit though!
Thank you, his name is Lucy (case of mistaken gender) he is super friendly and I love him so much so want to make sure he’s okay

I was told to use terramycin, what about that

It would be best just to take him to the vet. I’m not sure if you know this but rabbits are much safer being housed indoors safe from predators and disease. Rabbits are also very social animals that require a lot of attention and love.
There is a lot more to why rabbits should be housed indoors.
Here is a link :)

https://myhouserabbit.com/rabbit-care/care-pet-rabbit/

Hope your bun gets well soon :)

All of my rabbits are outside and they still get plenty of attention, my dad says to much attention! I do get why rabbits could do better indoors but with 6 rabbits they wouldn't do well.
It would be best just to take him to the vet. I’m not sure if you know this but rabbits are much safer being housed indoors safe from predators and disease. Rabbits are also very social animals that require a lot of attention and love.

All of my rabbits are outside and they still get plenty of attention, my dad says to much attention! I do get why rabbits could do better indoors but with 6 rabbits they wouldn't do well.
Please get Lucy to the vet! It looks very painful. Here is a link on eye care that might help: https://rabbit.org/cheerful-tearful-eye-problems/.

He just came back from the vet, she thinks it may be a bad case of conjunctivitis. Her other thought is that it has to do with his eye, but we are treating it as conjunctivitis for now. He has been given pain killers which he takes every 2 days and have been given a cream which I put directly into his eye. Aha he also is a tad on the heavy side weighing in at 1.9 kg and is a Netherland dwarf. Thanks for all your support

I've used neosporin on myself and bunnies for conjunctivitis with good/quick results. Glad you got a diagnosis and meds. Hope for a quick recovery!

I've used neosporin on myself and bunnies for conjunctivitis with good/quick results. Glad you got a diagnosis and meds. Hope for a quick recovery!
In the future I would recommend not to continue using that for eye problems if it isn't an ophthalmic ointment. Regular topical Neosporin isn't formulated for use in the eye and continued application could damage the eye. Only use ophthalmic products specifically formulated for use in the eye.

In a perfect world we would all have access to rabbit savy vets and the money to pay for them every time our dear bunnies had any health issues. Many people don't have those vets or the dollars to pay for a vet that considers rabbits as exotic.

I guess my years of raising livestock show when I post on these threads...as well as my experience working with vets who treat livestock. Sometimes we go with what works and is affordable and available. Many medications have off label applications.

I only share from my experience of raising rabbits for 45 years and what worked and did no harm. I apologise if that's not the optimum and most perfect medical option. Maybe folks here have a lot more money and options than I have had.

The answer for any medical issue would be to see the best rabbit vet as soon as possible.

I don't have the most money either, I apologize for being kind of rude. I know that you have a lot more experience than me so I respect what you have to say! I think we use some things that might not be the best but help. Anyways i hope you have a great day cloverhouse!;)
In a perfect world we would all have access to rabbit savy vets and the money to pay for them every time our dear bunnies had any health issues. Many people don't have those vets or the dollars to pay for a vet that considers rabbits as exotic.

I guess my years of raising livestock show when I post on these threads...as well as my experience working with vets who treat livestock. Sometimes we go with what works and is affordable and available. Many medications have off label applications.

I only share from my experience of raising rabbits for 45 years and what worked and did no harm. I apologise if that's not the optimum and most perfect medical option. Maybe folks here have a lot more money and options than I have had.

The answer for any medical issue would be to see the best rabbit vet as soon as possible.

No problem. I just wanted to explain where I am coming from, and the position that perhaps some other people are in. Of course we would all love to provide the best possible care to our pets. But when that's not possible, I hope that we can still share other options that might be helpful.

I will never share anything I have not used myself and had success with, or that has not been suggested to me by vets... albeit sometimes farm vets.

Especially in these times when money is tight, we are limited in where and how far we can travel and what medications we can get our hands on, many of us may find we have to rely on options B and C.

Latest posts

Back