Rabbit experiencing grief

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Div22

Reaction score
Today my boy passed away and I'm really worried about how this is going to impact on my other bunny. They have been a bonded pair for the last 8 months. She is not eating and seems sad. I have read that sometimes when one rabbit does the other bonded rabbit in the pair can die soon after due to grief. Is this true? Is there anything I can do to help her through the grief? I know getting another rabbit could help but I'm not in a place where I want to do that since my boy just passed. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

When my friend had that issue she took her bunny to the shelter to pick a friend out

Have a gay day

First off I am SO SO sorry to hear about your boy. I hate hearing about death of other rabbits<3

Secondly I would say give your girl extra attention. Talk extra happy and buy her toys and treats. Spoil her :)

Was your boy the dominate rabbit of the pair or was he the submissive one?

When Prince, my Netherland dwarf, passed, Sweetie, my lionhead, grieved, she still ate and drank but she was sad that he was gone. She got sick when he passed away. So had to take care of her and get her all better. Every night, I would snuggle with Sweetie and grieve with her, talk to her and let her know that I miss him as well. I did this every night. Two weeks after Prince passed, I got another rabbit, it helped her with dealing with her grief of losing Prince. Sweetie and Prince were a bonded pair. Now I have Sweetie and Pudden, but they are not bonded.

So talk to your bunny and spend some quality time with her, which will help her to grieve. Never let a rabbit grieve by themselves.

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the advice. Tabs (the female) was the dominant one, Charlie (who has passed) was submissive to her. Tabs has never been bonded to me (Charlie was as had him since he was baby, only adopted Tabs earlier this year). Tabs tends runs from me, only sometimes let's me pat her so don't know how to comfort her. Just been sitting next to her hutch talking to talking to her and patting her when she will let me. Will keep trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Latest posts

Back