Rabbit Escapes from cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duffysmama

Reaction score
I recently moved back to MN from TX. While my husband and I were living in TX for 10 months my mom watched our rabbit Duffy and since he is litter box trained she let him run around spare bedroom all day. Now every day around 5pm he uses his teeth and front paws and is able to unlock his cage and get out. I am very concerned that he will hurt himself doing this and if he gets out someday when I am not home and the door is open in the room he will destroy the house and my dog will chase him all over.
Have any of your rabbits done this? Any suggestions please?

My bunny scared me half to death one morning. I woke up to the sounds of a critter under my bed. I thought it was a mouse & shook the bed to scare it off, but it got louder. Then Shadow suddenly ran out from under the bed! Crazy bunny escaped from her cage! Actually it's more like a bunny condo. On the bottom level the whole front is a door that opens on hinges right onto the ground. It stays closed with a little knob that pops in between two rollersinside the cage. Our other bunny never escaped, but Shadow must have pushed it right open. The whole outside is made from wood except for the front of the top level is like chicken wire fencing stuff. I got a hook & eye lock and installed it right by the nob, but I still have to put a rubber band around the lock & knob together to keep the door securely shut.

I read somewhere that metal shower curtain rings are safe to use with rabbits. If you have a wire cage, that might be a good option. I don't know how to discourage him from using his teeth & paws to try escaping, though.

I had a very special rabbit push his door just enough to squeeze out. He got killed. It was horrible. That happened this last Thursday.

How is his cage made? Can you get one of them clips that is used on dog and horse leashes from a store? TSC have them for $3 each I believe. For the rabbits in my room I use key chain clips along with back up sisal rope. I have had rabbits chew that away in no time but my current girls do not.

On the second night I had him, Leon escaped from his outdoor hutch! I think a cat probably opened it though. My dad happened to look out the window at 6am and saw him, a black rabbit in the pitch dark. We were so lucky to get him back. :) (I have 5 cats, and there was a neighbours cat around that night too.) We had to chase him around for ages in the dark before I just thought I should go inside and watch him, and he hopped into the hutch all by himself and I ran out and shut him in. He wasn't used to me so there was no way I would catch him.

So now we use a clip I got off an old keyring I had and we put one on Evie's hutch and the baby guinea pig's hutch since they're the same design.

I've never had any open their cages, just find a way out. Harper used to jump on top of his cage and out of his pen before we realized that's how he did it and reworked the setup.

Use a clip, like a carabiner or a little length of chain with a clip.

Latest posts

Back