Rabbit eating nothing but treats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dex179

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering if you guys can help me!

My rabbit Dexter hadn't been eating properly for a week or so, but only the last few days his food intake suddenly dropped. I took him to the vets yesterday and they couldn't find anything obviously wrong with him, but did a blood test (will receive results later today).

At the moment he's only accepting fibreplex and treats (banana, blueberry, papaya treats....)

A bit of background on Dexter. He doesn't eat hay! Never has done. I've tried everything. He's nearly 6 years old, and I do my best giving him high fibre content pellets and fibreplex. He also eats greens (coriander, dill, mint before he stopped eating). However hasn't touched grass for years.

Because of this I have to take him to the vets to have his front teeth clipped and his back teeth burred due to the spikes. He has to do this monthly! I feel so bad for him....but trying my best to keep him alive and healthy.

However he got his teeth operation done 2 weeks ago and isn;t due one for another 2 weeks, which is why I don;t understand why he's stopped eating? I'm confused as he eats his treats and fibreplex but nothing else.

The only change in the last few weeks is that I've had to hang about in his room (he's got his own bedroom upstairs) a lot more as I am having renovations done downstairs, and his room has a working desk in it.

Could anyone shed any light into what's going on? For the time being the vet said to give metacam, and I am syringe feeding him critical care.

Thank you for your help in advance

Hi, when I started reading your post my first guess was his back teeth but I see you already know his problems and taking care of it so can't really advise here, hopefully other people will know more than I. Stress can be why as well.
I would definitely stop giving treats instead of food this doesn't sound good to me at all

Thanks Zupper. Vets called about Dexter's bloods and it all seemed normal, so logical conclusion was his dental problems. Just dropped him off to vets for his usual dental procedure, just hoping there are no deep lacerations of his tongue or mouth :(

Hopefully if will help it is good to hear that his blood test was fine. Please keep us updated, good luck!

So the vet called and the cause is a tooth abscess. It's been eating into his jaws. The vet said Dexter has to go on a 3 week treatment of anti biotics, which is administered via a needle - I'll have to do this every day during the course. Not sure how I feel about needles but I guess anything for my bunny :(

He's been kept at the vets tonight and hopefully be back tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back