Rabbit eating less!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Landyn

Reaction score
My rabbit is around 3 years old. She has a set up in my garage and plenty of room to hop , binky etc. but she always hops out of the area and likes to explore the garage and we have a baby bouncer and sometimes she’ll sit in that, however I’ve noticed I haven’t had to fill her litter box up with hay lately and she’s usually in that area around midnight but idk if she’s eating , or just not eating has much?

Has she been pooping normally and eating pellets, her favorite fruits or vegetables? if she has been doing all of that, you may just have bad quality hay or hay that she doesn't like, but if she is not, this is a hint that she may be sick- try first feeding her oxbow critical care (I hope you have this as it is a very important emergency item), and call your vet. It is possible that your rabbit may be going into Stasis which is when her gut stops moving. So please check this because GI stasis can be fatal.

Add fresh hay even if the older hay isn't gone yet. They can be choosey about their hay so it's a good idea to add fresh hay on top every day -- whether or not it is all gone. This alone can often encourage more hay eating.

Has she been pooping normally and eating pellets, her favorite fruits or vegetables? if she has been doing all of that, you may just have bad quality hay or hay that she doesn't like, but if she is not, this is a hint that she may be sick- try first feeding her oxbow critical care (I hope you have this as it is a very important emergency item), and call your vet. It is possible that your rabbit may be going into Stasis which is when her gut stops moving. So please check this because GI stasis can be fatal.
Yes she poops a lot but I feel like she’s been getting out of the habit of going in her litter box now , she’s not spayed but she used to be good about going in the liter box but lately she hasn’t been. Yes she still eats pellets and she will eat any fruit or veggie I give her (that’s obviously good for her” I get the same brand of Timothy hay every time but sometimes it’s really stringy and that’s how this bag was.

You may want to consider getting hay from a feedstore provided you can see (inspect) the hay beforehand. Buying it by the bag from a petstore is crazy expensive by comparison. The feedstore typically has fresher hay as well -- straight from a local field.

When you say she isn't using her litterbox as much, is that for poos or urine? If she suddenly started piddling outside her box, it could indicate a urinary infection.

You may want to consider getting hay from a feedstore provided you can see (inspect) the hay beforehand. Buying it by the bag from a petstore is crazy expensive by comparison. The feedstore typically has fresher hay as well -- straight from a local field.

When you say she isn't using her litterbox as much, is that for poos or urine? If she suddenly started piddling outside her box, it could indicate a urinary infection.
Yes I do think she has UTI

Latest posts

Back