Rabbit eating hard poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilsakli

Reaction score
I noticed my female rabbit eating a hard poop pellet that she accidentally kicked out from the extra litter box I keep around my apartment. I do not observe this action with the hard poop pellets scattered around in her xpen. I feed her 1/4 cup Timothy pellets, 2 cups of veggies, and unlimited Timothy hay. I’ve observed her do this three times in the past two days. Is this something I should be worried about? Do your rabbits do this?

I've had rabbits do a little bit of it on occasion. If a rabbit is getting plenty of fiber from free fed hay, I'm not sure what other reason would be causing the behavior. I didn't ever know why my rabbits did it either. Sometimes rabbits will do odd things like that, with no apparent reason. As long as your rabbit is healthy in every other way, is a healthy weight/body condition, and it isn't becoming a persistent habit, it's not something I would worry about too much.

my other bun used to do this a lot when I first got him. I was wondering why he would do this then I remembered our vet told us before when we got an accidental baby (yes, just one kit) that the baby should eat his/her mom's poop for good bacteria. So I thought that's what my bun was doing, he must've thought his poop was his mom's poop so he ate it...? Not sure, just a theory

I noticed my female rabbit eating a hard poop pellet that she accidentally kicked out from the extra litter box I keep around my apartment. I do not observe this action with the hard poop pellets scattered around in her xpen. I feed her 1/4 cup Timothy pellets, 2 cups of veggies, and unlimited Timothy hay. I’ve observed her do this three times in the past two days. Is this something I should be worried about? Do your rabbits do this?

Was it a cecotrope? Because bunnies eat them to aid digestion and produce them for just that.. could it have just been a part or a cecotrope?

All of my rabbits poop out and eat their cecotropes.. it's a must in there diet.

My rabbits eat their cecotropes too, usually directly from their bum. But I am not talking about cecotropes. These are hard poop pellets that are larger and resemble cocoa puff cereal (if you’ve eaten those before). Fortunately, she does not do this all the time. It’s possible that she’s also eating my male rabbit poop droppings. They share a common litter box in the living room. They are not bonded yet, but I let them out one at a time for play. I’ve witnessed my male rabbit doing the same thing a long time ago when he was an only bun, but he would crumble the hard poop pellet in his mouth, spit it out, and leave a mess. He hasn’t done that since. Just as others said, rabbits doing random rabbit things. Shrugs.

Latest posts

Back