Rabbit eaten lawn mower cuttings

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanutpickles

Reaction score
Hello all.

So my little bun bun is 6 months old. She must have devoured some grass cuttings that I foolishly dumped in their massive run not realising they couldn't have them. She starting show signs of being subdued on Thurs eve. didn't eat her pellets on Fri so took her to the vet who gave her a jab for stimulation her tummy. She is eating grass, dandelions and some of her mix, and she's moving about abit but looks sad and i'm not seeing any poop in her tray.

I did some googling and round out about the grass cuttings so that must be it. Anyone got an experience of this or know if they can get over it? assuming it is GI stasis. Giving her oral food twice a day prescribed by the vet but don't think much actual goes in and i am covered in scratches. She must be uncomfortable as just not her happy, bunny self. I'm just not sure if she will recover or is slowly dying inside.

Any thoughts. My friend said cutting kill horses so i just don't know how this is gonna progress.

I heard that cuttings are not good for them, but to be killed by some cuttings? I hope this won't be the case! what kind of mower do you use? hope she recovers!

generally not a good idea,whether it be electric,gas,etc.mower...and there must no be any herbicides..worse things can and do happen- by accident..i will not condem anyone who at least gives good effort toward husbandry..sincerely james waller-remembering the joseph r cottontail,rip

Wait so.. I'm not following. What's wrong with giving rabbits some cut grass?..
I have a garden outside and every few days when the grass becomes somewhat lengthy, I go outside and cut grass with scissors and give it to my bunny. Where I live, I don't have access to hay. I asked so many pet shops but they don't provide it and giving my bunny only greens and vegetables didn't seem very healthy so I cut grass and in two days it becomes dry probably just like hay and her droppings and urine seem fine so .. What's wrong with it ?

Just grass cuttings are allright, we were speaking about cuttings from the lawn mower. try to google why you shouldn't use grass cuttings from lawn mower.

Because in the lawnmower the grass ferments and can cause really bad gas and bloat.
@Peanutpickles if she is not pooing you need to get her back to the vet as gut stasis can become fatal very quickly. Is she eating anything at all, or just the small amount of critical care you are getting in? If she is not eating, and not pooing please get to a rabbit-savvy vet ASAP.
@Alice Trancy where are you from? It is really important that a rabbits diet is made up of at least 80% hay (or grass). I doubt you are able to provide enough through cutting with scissors, so if possible can you find a farm near you that produces it, a stables etc? Or if not, you can buy online. Even if she isn’t having problems now, getting the proper diet will prevent problems in the future.

Last edited:
Because in the lawnmower the grass ferments and can cause really bad gas and bloat.
@Peanutpickles if she is not pooing you need to get her back to the vet as gut stasis can become fatal very quickly. Is she eating anything at all, or just the small amount of critical care you are getting in? If she is not eating, and not pooing please get to a rabbit-savvy vet ASAP.
@Alice Trancy where are you from? It is really important that a rabbits diet is made up of at least 80% hay (or grass). I doubt you are able to provide enough through cutting with scissors, so if possible can you find a farm near you that produces it, a stables etc? Or if not, you can buy online. Even if she isn’t having problems now, getting the proper diet will prevent problems in the future.

Iraq. I am still looking around but I found nothing, whoever I ask about rabbit diet here they say "Just give it celery and parsley. It eats everything anyway."
As I said before, we don't have proper care for animals here and people/vets don't have that good of a knowledge to provide such things. I live in the middle of the city, there are no farms nearby and it's really frustrating. All I can do is just cut grass for her from my garden and that's all. I give her some vegetables and greens from time to time but I really wish I can provide her with hay too... And we don't have online stores for such things and websites like Amazon and ebay don't really deliver to where I live anyway.

Even if it means needing to drive somewhere and get a big bale to store somewhere, it really is important that your bunny gets more fibre to help with both gastrointestinal and dental issues.
I know it must be really frustrating but just trying to help you have a healthier happier bunny :)

I'm sorry about your Bunz, hope she feels better soon. My buns was a little sick this weekend, I think he ate some cardboard :( he didnt eat much or poop for 2 days, I was super worried. I gave him some Mint leaves.. and some extra TLC and that seemed to do the trick..

He lives in his hutch but he likes to room free in the studio, and I leave him free most of the day day while I am at work, Idk how he got in to the amazon box, but I am looking into making him a digging box or a dirt pit..

Sometimes a good belly rub, some water and they bounce back up! goodluck sending healing vibes your way xo

Fred ( bun) and Jay ( mom)

Even if it means needing to drive somewhere and get a big bale to store somewhere, it really is important that your bunny gets more fibre to help with both gastrointestinal and dental issues.
I know it must be really frustrating but just trying to help you have a healthier happier bunny :)

I know and I really appreciate it, if I find one I'll definitely ask dad to go and get me some, we've been asking around ever since I got her but they keep saying that they don't make hay and no one even knows anything about it. I asked what they feed their horses, rabbits and guinea pigs etc and they all said "Vegetables and fruits and grass" .. They probably don't even know what hay is.

Your bunny getting GI stasis might or might not be from something in the grass cuttings.

My biggest advise for GI Stasis is always have a good small syringe and as soon as you notice your rabbit stops eating syringe electrolyte fluids to hydrate the bunny- 1-2 tablespoons depending on size of the bunny. So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Hopefully by fully hydrating your rabbit the intestines will be able to deal with moving whatever is causing the problem through his/her intestines. Syringing simple electrolytes is the safest thing you can do on your own to help your rabbit. I would repeat the syringing of fluids every 2 hours or so until you get to the vet.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone we are on day 5 now and she is still with us, noticed an increased amount of poop in her hutch this morning and she was happily munching on her breakfast. Hopefully this is a good sign and she seems improved not deteriorated. She's been out of the hutch a lot and try to keep her moving, tummy rubs and a dish of water as well as bottle.

That is the last time i put mower cutting down!! once i see her digging again I'll know she is fully recovered. @squidpop what is an electrolyne fluid? vet prescribed or can you make it?

Latest posts

Back