Rabbit ear help?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea__xo

Reaction score
Hi all I have noticed within the last day my rabbits right ear has suddenly become floppy?!
He's still eating, pooing, and binkying around the room, I'm scared he's broken his ear, I didn't think that was possible, I will attach photos before and after
Many thanks,
Andrea
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1414603936.958868.jpg
ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1414604170.780053.jpg

How old is he? He looks like quite a young bun? If so it may just be natural drop as he and his ears grow. Particularly with cross breeds they can start as upears and then as their ears get bigger/heavier lop much later than a purebred lop. Sometimes they turn out 'helicopter' eared where their ears half lop or sometimes lop and sometimes not.

Lopping in adults is more or a worry as it can be linked with an ear infection. If his ears look gunky inside at all then a vet check would be a good idea.

He's 12 weeks old, I've had a look around the ear and it seems perfectly fine.. I think he may be a cross then and has helicopter ears, personally I think it just makes him cuter! Do you think his left ear will flop too?
Thank you for your reply it's reassured me :)

This happened to mine shortly after I got him. He was around the same age as yours. I got so woried I talked to my old vet in the US(I live in Saudi Arabia and vets here are horrible, I can find out more from google).
But he had told me with one his age it could be a few things, as long as he doesn't seem in pain or irritated by the ear.
Could be a mix of a lop breed
Just a baby phase that he can outgrow
or if he is in extreme heat it can be caused by that. This was the case of my bunny( we had bought him from an outdoor bunny place and were transitioning him inside slowly). After a couple days in ac and cool temps, his ear popped right back up.

Thanks within the last few hours his left ear has flopped too! He's happy and eating etc I think I perhaps have a little minilop!
Thanks for all your help :)

Latest posts

Back