Rabbit doesn't want to eat pellets??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetwobunnies

Reaction score
My female rabbit who is spayed and has been for around a year (around a couple years old) isn't eating her pellets, is this "normal"? I recently ran out of pellets around a week ago but have substituted with a lot of veggies (as usual, but more variety to make up for the lack of pellets) and today I finally bought some and gave my rabbits a handful - my other rabbit who is a male and is bonded with my other rabbit gobbled up the pellets.

My female rabbit just sniffed it and walked away. I re-filled their hay (I was out for a few hours and they seemed to have eaten up most of the hay) and she just went for the hay - totally ignoring the pellets... She eats her veggies normally and hay normally and voraciously.

Could this be a sign of a dental problem? I haven't really noticed drooling, or restriction from food except for the pellets... She isn't underweight - not from what I feel and see.

She was never AS CRAZY about pellets as my other rabbit is, but she always did like them...

Should I be worried? Anything I can do or check by myself before going to the vet?

With the fact that she hasn't had them for the past week, and it is a new bag, I would suspect it has more to do with her either not liking the taste of the new bag or her deciding she just doesn't like those pellets. As long as she is still eating hay and veggies really well, I don't think you have much to worry about and doubt it is a dental issue. I would suspect that she will start nibbling on them over the next few days and start eating them again.

Since it has been a week since they've had pellets, if you aren't gradually reintroducing them back into the diet, you may want to do this to avoid any digestive upset.

Thank you, I will continue to slowly introduce the pellets back into their pellets - and hopefully she will start eating them. Until then, only time will tell! Thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back