Rabbit doesn't like pellets-- Remove from diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A & B

Reaction score
I adopted Lola (a 3-year-old Mini Lop, weighing 5.5 pounds) on Friday. In that time, I have realized she hates both hay and pellets, but she hates the hay more. In her foster home, she was given 1/2 cup of pellets, making her pellets unlimited because she only will eat a few when she gets hungry. Earlier today, I gave both of the bunnies 1/8 cup of pellets and while Bugs scarfed them down within an hour, most of hers are still in the bowl. She doesn't eat hay because when she's hungry she goes to eat a couple of pellets. Because she doesn't like pellets, she won't miss them. So she doesn't get jealous when I give Bugs his, I will give her some herbs. I will consider introducing them back into her diet when she is a bigger hay eater. Buying the highest quality hay is the last resort for me because I don't have the money for that.

Do you recommend I take them out? She also is getting 2 cups a day of veggies despite her size to help with her hay intake. That will be increased when she's eating more hay.

Is that same pellets she had in her foster home or you give her some different brand/type?
She's only with you first day, my Fred didn't eat or even drink for the first 12 hours, new place new people around maybe more attention than usually give her more time and some space don't push she'll be fine.

If you have different pellets it is normal if she doesn't want them, it is best to mix a little new with her old pellets for a few days but I only had this problem with one of my rabbits she refused my pellets so I had to get her old brand, other rabbits were fine.

It's the same kind. She seems to be getting more comfortable with me. Yesterday, she didn't dare sleep outside her box. She now has been flopping in the corner of her cage all day. She is currently out for playtime and she was climbing and jumping over me! She has been taking treats from my hand. She likes to have the cage bars in between her and my hand and treat. She also seems to know her name already too! She just ate a piece of hay so I was glad to see that.

It's the same kind. She seems to be getting more comfortable with me. Yesterday, she didn't dare sleep outside her box. She now has been flopping in the corner of her cage all day. She is currently out for playtime and she was climbing and jumping over me! She has been taking treats from my hand. She likes to have the cage bars in between her and my hand and treat. She also seems to know her name already too! She just ate a piece of hay so I was glad to see that.
That's great I am very glad she got you as her new family, so it's actually day 2 now, I think she'll be alright in a couple days looks like she's doing good. :)

Latest posts

Back