Rabbit doesn’t like me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sodabiscuit

Reaction score
About 3-4 weeks ago I purchased a rabbit. I have been wanting one for a while so this was exciting for me. At first he seemed pretty shy, but now he seems pretty comfortable with me to the point where he’ll climb on me and eat treats out of my hand, etc. he’s about 4-5 months old. However, recently, I feel like he has started to really dislike me. He doesn’t bite, but whenever I try to pet him he runs away and hides, which I assume is normal, but when I give him treats he’ll flick his back feet at me, or even thump away, like he’s angry at me. It’s not that he seems aggressive towards me, but he’s just always disgusted with me, and I don’t know what to do. Could this be because he’s not neutered?

It could be hormones, he's at the right age, or it could be something else. Do you ever try and pick him up? Is he out playing when you try and pet him? How do you approach him with your hand, above or in front of his head or to the side where he can more easily see your hand? Where do you try and pet him(forehead, ears, cheeks, top shoulders, back, rump)? Do you use scented lotion on your hands?

When you feed treats, does he actually like it and eat it, does he take it and run off with it, what does he do exactly, and what treats are you feeding? I've had rabbits do that when I try and feed them a treat like cilantro or parsley, that they've decided they don't like. And thumping isn't always a sign of annoyance(or fear). I've had rabbits do it when they are having fun out running around and playing as well, as a sort of take off thump of sorts.

He's definitely at the right age for hormones to start to surge. I've also had rabbits be super shy and well-behaved when first brought home... but then they get comfortable with the change and start copping an attitude and being naughty. In your case, it may be a little bit of both, lol.

Latest posts

Back